Long notes?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Stev0
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm here as a milti-instrumentalist to learn about and discuss my new interest in irish-style keyless flutes. I played the Boehm flute from 5th grade through 8th grade (I am now 36yo), and recently aquired a Windwood bamboo flute.

Long notes?

Post by Stev0 »

I've been making music my whole life, I can read sheet music (or used to, I mostly play by ear now and I'm trying to regain the skill), I know most of the fancy musical terms, etc...

Recently as I've been learning to play keyless flute, I've been reading about people sometimes mentioning a "Long F" or "Long C" as opposed to F# or C natural. This term is totally new to me. I did a google search on the subject and all I could find was reference to note duration, nothing about pitch. Can someone please explain what is meant by these Long notes? It makes no sense to me, I know what natural, flat and sharp mean, but what is a long?
-Stevo
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Re: Long notes?

Post by kkrell »

On keyed flutes, there can be a short F (operated by the lower hand) & a long F key (operated by the top hand). The long C is a key for C (operated by the lower hand), instead of half-holing or cross-fingering of open holes (as would be required on a keyless flute). Could these be what you are referring to?

International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
Stev0
Tell us something.: I'm here as a milti-instrumentalist to learn about and discuss my new interest in irish-style keyless flutes. I played the Boehm flute from 5th grade through 8th grade (I am now 36yo), and recently aquired a Windwood bamboo flute.

Post by Stev0 »

kkrell wrote:...Could these be what you are referring to?
Yes! Thank you, that explains it all, now it makes sense. I played classical Boehms flute as a child and I don't remember anything like that, but that was over 20 years ago and it's probobly different between simple system and boehms.
-Stevo
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

As Kevin says, it's long keys rather than long notes.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads