Irish flute and ........ synth?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Terry McGee
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Irish flute and ........ synth?

Post by Terry McGee »

Now, I'm not normally the kind of person who would post something like this. I have had some experience with the electronic side of music, way, way back, but these days I mostly prefer to let sleeping electrons lie. But I received this email from an old customer. I think I should let him speak for himself, with perhaps just the observation that I opened the link with some trepidation, but, as it transpired, with no need. It's meditative rather than confronting, and I enjoyed the contrast of the round flute sounds with the more edgy synth backing. Here's Michael....

Hi Terry,
How's it going? I am still using the flute you made for me 20ish years ago on some projects. I am using it in a live stream performance next week in Singapore, and I thought you might be interested to see how your work is being used. Here is a video of an improvisation I did with it while practising for next week's performance. It is obviously not ITM, but the flute complements the sound of the electronics quite well, I think. I hope everything is going well for you over there on the pacific coast...
Regards
Michael Spicer

Here is the link:

https://youtu.be/gEin1ZicSuY

Some information about the technology in the notes below the video...
tin tin
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: To paraphrase Mark Twain, a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the spoons and doesn't. I'm doing my best to be a gentleman.

Re: Irish flute and ........ synth?

Post by tin tin »

I dig it. Thanks for sharing!
fintano
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Because I play flute and whistle.

With a toot on the flute and a twiddle on the fiddle
Hopping in the middle like a herrin on the griddle
Up, down, hands around and crossing to the wall
Sure hadn't we the gaiety at Phil the Fluter's ball

Re: Irish flute and ........ synth?

Post by fintano »

Our local independent radio station has New Age music two mornings a week, and I have it programmed to wake me up in a gentle way. Thus I get to hear quite a bit of this kind of music, and he seems right up there with other people working in the area. He gets a nice tone. Is he using an SM58?

Goes to show that a good instrument can fit into many different musical contexts.