Contacting Casey Burns

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Terry McGee
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Contacting Casey Burns

Post by Terry McGee »

Just to mention that Casey Burns has, in his own words, "booted himself off of Chiff and Fipple" and so will no longer be posting here. He might lurk occasionally just to see what is being said about him.

So don't send him messages via Private Message as he has no way to access these. Email him instead at casey@caseyburnsflutes.com.
WaltP
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: . .

Re: Contacting Casey Burns

Post by WaltP »

Sorry to hear that. Thank you for letting us know.
Sedi
Tell us something.: Practice, practice, practice. You're never too old to learn.
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Post by Sedi »

Rather sad just when he started that interesting project with 3D-printing. The thread that was the cause of all that went downhill quickly. Maybe he will reconsider ...
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Okay, I'm going to have to bring this up just in case: viewtopic.php?p=1038859&f=3#p1038859 (Section 2)

2. We delete threads/posts that refer to other threads/posts that have been deleted or locked. So, let x = a deleted or locked thread or post. Let y = a "what happened to x?" thread or post. We’ll delete y.

So this is an official Admin request that the membership honor this principle and steer clear of publicly posing questions, retelling, or metamoderating so that we don't have to bring the hammer down; in all things we prefer that there be no need for mod intervention. Fortunately here it hasn't gotten to that point yet. That said, it cannot be denied that the thread in question - and particularly its outcome - are rightly a matter of great public interest, so we understand that commentary is difficult to resist. Nevertheless, there is a limit to what's going to be acceptable. We are grateful to Terry for clearly bringing the new state of affairs to everyone's attention, and for kindly providing a link so that communications may continue; the rest treads shaky ground. There isn't a lot more for the mods to say about the situation other than we consider it unfortunate; all participants have had their part to play and each can speak only for themselves, but this is not the place for it. Suffice it to say that for Casey the door remains open, but I must remind one and all that personal convictions do not outweigh the Board's principles and rules. Ever.

In short: If this thread is to continue, please be careful, and avoid publicly toying with analysis or speculation. Thank you.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Terry McGee

Post by Terry McGee »

Thanks, Nano.

I'm sure Casey will be keeping those interested informed about progress in his 3D printing via his own website, in particular see his Folk Flute page: http://www.caseyburnsflutes.com/ff.php

This is a most interesting time in the development of the Irish flute. On the one hand we have a lot of the earlier makers reaching "a certain age" and starting to wind down, or thinking about winding down. In the diagonally opposite corner, we have probably more younger and upcoming makers than we've ever had before. Meanwhile, top right, we have significant advances in flute acoustic modelling progressing well, and, bottom left, new technologies and materials such as Casey is embarking on deploying. In the vertical dimension, Irish music is developing quickly, but opposing that is our strange new world of imposed social isolation.

All I can say is "watch this space...". And be glad we have such a place to discuss our enthusiasms. Um, OK, obsessions.
Sedi
Tell us something.: Practice, practice, practice. You're never too old to learn.
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Post by Sedi »

Thanks for the link! That "smokey red" looks stunning. I'll definitely have a look at how this project develops. I'm guessing the material will certainly be lighter than delrin. My fingers are pretty strained most of the time from typing for a living so I think a delrin flute would be too heavy for me in the long run.
PB+J
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Post by PB+J »

Sedi wrote:Thanks for the link! That "smokey red" looks stunning. I'll definitely have a look at how this project develops. I'm guessing the material will certainly be lighter than delrin. My fingers are pretty strained most of the time from typing for a living so I think a delrin flute would be too heavy for me in the long run.

I have three delrin flutes and they all differ a lot in weight. One is very heavy but the Copley delrin is quite light
Terry McGee

Post by Terry McGee »

Yeah. Delrin is denser than blackwood, so if a maker uses the same dimensions, the flute will end up heavier. But because it is denser, you can afford to cut back a bit on thickness, especially in places where it isn't helpful.

This probably reminds we makers that we should really be including information like flute weight and perhaps balance points in our descriptions. These things can matter to people. If we don't specify them, we are not helping them to make good decisions.
D Mc

Post by D Mc »

Nanohedron wrote:... all participants have had their part to play and each can speak only for themselves, but this is not the place for it...
I am not a frequent poster so hopefully asking this question is not also adding to the problem, but it seems that things that have such a potentially large impact on this flute community, should be able to be discussed as long as it is done in a civilized manner?
Conical bore

Post by Conical bore »

D Mc wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:... all participants have had their part to play and each can speak only for themselves, but this is not the place for it...
I am not a frequent poster so hopefully asking this question is not also adding to the problem, but it seems that things that have such a potentially large impact on this flute community, should be able to be discussed as long as it is done in a civilized manner?
IIRC, the other thread deteriorated as a result of comments about flute aesthetics and preferences, which I think is a legit topic for for conversation here on C&F when done with respect for both makers and players. But that should be in a different thread than this one. This one is about how to contact Casey and keep up with his new flute plans.
Holmes

Post by Holmes »

Sorry to hear that Casey won't be posting. it's one of the few reasons I visit this site.

Best wishes

H
Save your hot air for blowing down your flute
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Conical bore wrote:
D Mc wrote:
IIRC, the other thread deteriorated as a result of comments about flute aesthetics and preferences, which I think is a legit topic for for conversation here on C&F when done with respect for both makers and players. But that should be in a different thread than this one. This one is about how to contact Casey and keep up with his new flute plans.
While I did say "of great public interest", that interest is only relative to C&F as a social community, and nothing more; it does not in this case extend in any wise to flutes per se. For that, developments in Casey's enterprise are always current and freely available, as ever, through his website. I will remind everyone for the last time that any public meta-discussion about a locked or deleted thread is prohibited by policy. That should be enough. But if it isn't, then take my word that in any case, anything germane to the flute world on that thread can already be found on Casey's website, so no loss to the interested there. Since the matter was strictly a non-flute issue, it is now a dead horse, and beating it profits no one. To do so would be sinking to mere gossip.

As Conical bore says, this thread is about how to contact Casey. So let's stop trying to resurrect ghosts for another gawk, or telling the mods how to uphold policy; any more of that and there will be a lock, as if it needed to be said. If you still want to go there, that's what private channels are for.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Charles Montgomery
Tell us something.: Looking for advice on Celtic Flutes and other instruments. I amuse myself playing the Boehm Flute, Bamboo, and a few antique flutes that I have found. I am retiring soon from my career as a consultant in the Energy Industry. Chiff and Fipple looks interesting. Some day I would try to play the Uillienn Pipes but these look hard and complex. I sang Baritone in the choir at my church (Unitarian) in Providence before the Pandemic hit.

Post by Charles Montgomery »

I just saw that Casey Burns stopped selling the wooden folkflutes on his folkflute webpage. I am not interested in one myself but I see these on Ebay sometimes.