It is currently Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:45 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
Author Message
 
 Post subject: Contacting Casey Burns
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:14 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2004 4:12 pm
Posts: 2247
Location: Malua Bay, on the NSW Nature Coast
Just to mention that Casey Burns has, in his own words, "booted himself off of Chiff and Fipple" and so will no longer be posting here. He might lurk occasionally just to see what is being said about him.

So don't send him messages via Private Message as he has no way to access these. Email him instead at casey@caseyburnsflutes.com.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:54 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:17 pm
Posts: 13
Location: Everett, WA USA
Sorry to hear that. Thank you for letting us know.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:00 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 01, 2016 6:54 am
Posts: 705
Location: Bischberg/Bavaria/Germany
Rather sad just when he started that interesting project with 3D-printing. The thread that was the cause of all that went downhill quickly. Maybe he will reconsider ...


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:49 am 
Offline
Moderatorer
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2002 6:00 pm
Posts: 36094
Location: United States of Kabuki
Okay, I'm going to have to bring this up just in case: http://forums.chiffandfipple.com/viewto ... 3#p1038859 (Section 2)

2. We delete threads/posts that refer to other threads/posts that have been deleted or locked. So, let x = a deleted or locked thread or post. Let y = a "what happened to x?" thread or post. We’ll delete y.

So this is an official Admin request that the membership honor this principle and steer clear of publicly posing questions, retelling, or metamoderating so that we don't have to bring the hammer down; in all things we prefer that there be no need for mod intervention. Fortunately here it hasn't gotten to that point yet. That said, it cannot be denied that the thread in question - and particularly its outcome - are rightly a matter of great public interest, so we understand that commentary is difficult to resist. Nevertheless, there is a limit to what's going to be acceptable. We are grateful to Terry for clearly bringing the new state of affairs to everyone's attention, and for kindly providing a link so that communications may continue; the rest treads shaky ground. There isn't a lot more for the mods to say about the situation other than we consider it unfortunate; all participants have had their part to play and each can speak only for themselves, but this is not the place for it. Suffice it to say that for Casey the door remains open, but I must remind one and all that personal convictions do not outweigh the Board's principles and rules. Ever.

In short: If this thread is to continue, please be careful, and avoid publicly toying with analysis or speculation. Thank you.

_________________
"Time is the wisest counselor of all." - Pericles

"I remain not entirely convinced of it." - Nano


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:47 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2004 4:12 pm
Posts: 2247
Location: Malua Bay, on the NSW Nature Coast
Thanks, Nano.

I'm sure Casey will be keeping those interested informed about progress in his 3D printing via his own website, in particular see his Folk Flute page: http://www.caseyburnsflutes.com/ff.php

This is a most interesting time in the development of the Irish flute. On the one hand we have a lot of the earlier makers reaching "a certain age" and starting to wind down, or thinking about winding down. In the diagonally opposite corner, we have probably more younger and upcoming makers than we've ever had before. Meanwhile, top right, we have significant advances in flute acoustic modelling progressing well, and, bottom left, new technologies and materials such as Casey is embarking on deploying. In the vertical dimension, Irish music is developing quickly, but opposing that is our strange new world of imposed social isolation.

All I can say is "watch this space...". And be glad we have such a place to discuss our enthusiasms. Um, OK, obsessions.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:46 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 01, 2016 6:54 am
Posts: 705
Location: Bischberg/Bavaria/Germany
Thanks for the link! That "smokey red" looks stunning. I'll definitely have a look at how this project develops. I'm guessing the material will certainly be lighter than delrin. My fingers are pretty strained most of the time from typing for a living so I think a delrin flute would be too heavy for me in the long run.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:13 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:40 am
Posts: 1011
Sedi wrote:
Thanks for the link! That "smokey red" looks stunning. I'll definitely have a look at how this project develops. I'm guessing the material will certainly be lighter than delrin. My fingers are pretty strained most of the time from typing for a living so I think a delrin flute would be too heavy for me in the long run.



I have three delrin flutes and they all differ a lot in weight. One is very heavy but the Copley delrin is quite light


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:28 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2004 4:12 pm
Posts: 2247
Location: Malua Bay, on the NSW Nature Coast
Yeah. Delrin is denser than blackwood, so if a maker uses the same dimensions, the flute will end up heavier. But because it is denser, you can afford to cut back a bit on thickness, especially in places where it isn't helpful.

This probably reminds we makers that we should really be including information like flute weight and perhaps balance points in our descriptions. These things can matter to people. If we don't specify them, we are not helping them to make good decisions.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:54 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:05 pm
Posts: 58
Nanohedron wrote:
... all participants have had their part to play and each can speak only for themselves, but this is not the place for it...


I am not a frequent poster so hopefully asking this question is not also adding to the problem, but it seems that things that have such a potentially large impact on this flute community, should be able to be discussed as long as it is done in a civilized manner?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:51 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:12 pm
Posts: 341
Location: Pacific Northwest USA
D Mc wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:
... all participants have had their part to play and each can speak only for themselves, but this is not the place for it...


I am not a frequent poster so hopefully asking this question is not also adding to the problem, but it seems that things that have such a potentially large impact on this flute community, should be able to be discussed as long as it is done in a civilized manner?

IIRC, the other thread deteriorated as a result of comments about flute aesthetics and preferences, which I think is a legit topic for for conversation here on C&F when done with respect for both makers and players. But that should be in a different thread than this one. This one is about how to contact Casey and keep up with his new flute plans.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:41 am
Posts: 310
Location: Durham UK
Sorry to hear that Casey won't be posting. it's one of the few reasons I visit this site.

Best wishes

H

_________________
Save your hot air for blowing down your flute
Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:58 pm 
Offline
Moderatorer
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2002 6:00 pm
Posts: 36094
Location: United States of Kabuki
Conical bore wrote:
D Mc wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:
... all participants have had their part to play and each can speak only for themselves, but this is not the place for it...

I am not a frequent poster so hopefully asking this question is not also adding to the problem, but it seems that things that have such a potentially large impact on this flute community, should be able to be discussed as long as it is done in a civilized manner?

IIRC, the other thread deteriorated as a result of comments about flute aesthetics and preferences, which I think is a legit topic for for conversation here on C&F when done with respect for both makers and players. But that should be in a different thread than this one. This one is about how to contact Casey and keep up with his new flute plans.

While I did say "of great public interest", that interest is only relative to C&F as a social community, and nothing more; it does not in this case extend in any wise to flutes per se. For that, developments in Casey's enterprise are always current and freely available, as ever, through his website. I will remind everyone for the last time that any public meta-discussion about a locked or deleted thread is prohibited by policy. That should be enough. But if it isn't, then take my word that in any case, anything germane to the flute world on that thread can already be found on Casey's website, so no loss to the interested there. Since the matter was strictly a non-flute issue, it is now a dead horse, and beating it profits no one. To do so would be sinking to mere gossip.

As Conical bore says, this thread is about how to contact Casey. So let's stop trying to resurrect ghosts for another gawk, or telling the mods how to uphold policy; any more of that and there will be a lock, as if it needed to be said. If you still want to go there, that's what private channels are for.

_________________
"Time is the wisest counselor of all." - Pericles

"I remain not entirely convinced of it." - Nano


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:31 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:31 am
Posts: 2
I just saw that Casey Burns stopped selling the wooden folkflutes on his folkflute webpage. I am not interested in one myself but I see these on Ebay sometimes.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 6 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google and 15 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
[ Time : 0.082s | 14 Queries | GZIP : On ]
(dh)