It is currently Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:24 am 

In the recent past there have been discussions here on Sam Murray flutes offered by McNeela's shop - still my thoughts on the subject are unclear. I'll be very brief and direct, if I may: is there any seasoned player (ideally with a deep and long-standing intimacy with flute, tone production and intonation) out there that has had the chance of playing a Sam Murray flute obtained from the maker and a Sam Murray flute obtained through McNeela? If this is the case, could you see (hear) any difference? Please feel free to reply privately, if you wish. Thank you for your help.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:59 pm 

I don't mean to be confrontational, but if you don't trust Mr Murray to make you a good flute, why do you want to buy one of his flutes? :-? No two flutes from the same maker are identical, so I don't see how you could get a sensible answer to your question. This question is likely to generate more FUD about Mr Murray :(

Mcneela apparently has a 7 day return policy, so it looks like you should be able to get a refund in case the flute doesn't meet your expectations. It's better to check with them though, as 6-keyers seem to be custom orders.

If you really want a Murray and can afford one, go for it. Otherwise, there are so many quality makers... We are spoiled with choices...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:00 pm 

Hi gwuilleann, thank you for your comment. Indeed I checked with McNeela, and they were kind and prompt in replying that yes, the 7-day return policy applies to this item as well. I really don't mean to generate further discussions or FUD on Mr Murray. My only concern is that there seems to be a discontinuity regarding his flutes, and there are a couple of recent cases here on this forum of Murray flutes acquired through McNeela's shop and gone on sale after a short time. I just wanted to make sure that his has nothing to do with the quality of the flutes, and would definitely be most happy to hear that. This would help me a bit in making a choice - not an easy one, given costs, times and also the current global emergency - for a keyed wooden flute.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:08 pm 

I have a divine Sam Murray through McNeela. A superb instrument which I shall never part with. My understanding is that Murray does not deal with the public nowadays, and entrusts the commercial sales to McNeela. He has no website and no email so I don't see how you could buy a flute from him directly anyway. I read somewhere that he has indeed returned to making, in conjunction with a son or apprentice, but as with most things Murray, I can't really sure. But the stamp change to 'Muraeus' indicates something. A wonderful flute maker in my view. McNeela says there is a 67 month wait for the keyed flutes. I cannot accept that this maker would make lesser quality instruments to supply to a dealer, which seems to me to be the meaning of the OP. Have faith!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:46 am 

Thank you for your feedback Andro, glad to hear that!