It is currently Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:25 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:45 pm 

I have a D flute by David Angus and it seems very nice. I'm not the best player and havent tried a better one so I don't know how it compares to more expensive ones. But its definitely nicer than my dixon 1 piece low D. And it looks amazing, which is half the battle haha. And it was like $200 usd shipped, so is much les expensive than my other high end options.

You can also keep your eyes open or make a "Want to buy" post in the trade section here. Quality flutes hold their value well anyway but you can still get a extra good deal on something good. I dont know a whole lot on the specifics of the different makers but if I was to get something different I'd go Copley, Walt Sweet, or M&E. I've heard many amazing things about all of them, and they dont break the bank. Well they at least break the bank less than some other options haha.

And going keyless is a good excuse to get some whistles in other keys (whistles can be a lot cheaper than flutes). Depends on what your trying to play tho. A song I want to play that requires a Low F can be played on my Bb whistle but not well because I have to play the verses an octave higher because I cant hit the low notes. So on that logic a keyed flute can hit the notes but it might not be able to play the song the way you want, or may be harder to play than on its ideal whistle.

Editing because I missed the left handed thing- I'm technically left handed but I use right handed everything in life. Computer mouse, guitar, flute, etc. I found switching to easily accessible right handed things was easy. That being said any of these makers should be fine with making you a left handed version. I just tried playing my angus flute and it seems to play fine left handed. The embouchure hole looks the same on both sides, so some makers flutes could already be set up for either. You'd obviously want to look in to that before picking something up though. Best of luck.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:10 pm 

Narzog wrote:
I missed the left handed thing- I'm technically left handed but I use right handed everything in life. Computer mouse, guitar, flute, etc. I found switching to easily accessible right handed things was easy.

Those with a dominant left hand don't have things easy in that regard. I'm actually mixed-handed to some degree; in some cases, that's because my dominant hand (right) and dominant eye are on opposite sides. Playing a whistle left-handed is what felt natural to me. I didn't consider handedness when I picked one up for the first time.

I will add Walt Sweet flutes to the list of those under consideration. The gentleman who will be giving me my first whistle lesson also plays the flute, and he said he will also give me opinions on what flutes may be good options.

So far I am considering Copley, Forbes, Sweet, and Tipple. Any other makers I should add to that list? I'd prefer those based in the States, as I'm unsure about how U.S. Customs may have changed over the past two years or so.

Thanks again to all for the continuing help!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:32 am 

Look at Geoffrey Ellis’s “essential flute.” In the same ballpark, price wise. Beautifully made and a joy to play.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 3:29 pm 

PB+J wrote:
Look at Geoffrey Ellis’s “essential flute.”

An Essential Flute in ebonite has been added to the short list.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:24 pm 

Dan A. wrote:
An Essential Flute in ebonite has been added to the short list.

This is a short list that is getting not so short :P

Joke aside, I just wanted to say that I had a Copley (6 keys) for a couple of years and it was a great flute. The only reason I sold it is because I moved to an 8-key flute. There are two things I really liked about this flute (besides its excellent intonation): it was very ergonomic (it was quite slender and the holes were not too large) and the embouchure was very forgiving. From what I understand, Copley's low end model is acoustically the same model. I don't know about the other flutes on your list, but I doubt you would go wrong with a Copley. On his website, he mentions that he can configure the flute for a left-handed player at no additional cost.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:26 pm 

Dan A. wrote:
PB+J wrote:
If you had kids the kids would have to work really hard to damage them.

I don't have kids, so no worries in that regard. A cat-resistant case (as I believe nothing is cat-proof to a sufficiently determined cat) would be all I'd need!

Thanks to all for the replies!

To clarify, the larger flute is what I'm thinking about here. With that clarification made, it also brings up more questions. Those larger flutes may well require the piper's grip; is there a way (i.e. glove size or measuring my hand) to better gauge if I will need to use it?

Dan, unless you have small hands I think you might be fine with many flutes. I have pretty small female hands and a keyless M&E in Delrin, and I don't have too much issue with the reach and I don't use piper's grip (my issue is more with the left-wrist angle, and sometimes the size of the holes-- my narrow fingers barely cover the largest ones. This is more of a problem when I might have to adjust hand position to reach *but* my fingers will only cover the holes reliably in limited positions). I've also tried one of the small-hands Folk Flutes and loved it.

Was it Doug Tipple's site that used to have a chart comparing holes of several flutes? Both the size of the holes and the distance apart.

And they're a' deid--
Mair's the pity.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:55 pm 

gwuilleann wrote:
This is a short list that is getting not so short :P

I suspect it won't get much longer!

Katharine wrote:
Dan, unless you have small hands I think you might be fine with many flutes.

I don't; I wear size large gloves. My real limitation is an old hand injury that renders my right little finger of little use for covering a sound hole.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:58 pm 

Dan A. wrote:
Katharine wrote:
Dan, unless you have small hands I think you might be fine with many flutes.

I don't; I wear size large gloves. My real limitation is an old hand injury that renders my right little finger of little use for covering a sound hole.

Do you mean your right ring finger? The little finger (pinkie) would not be used to cover a hole (although you might need it for a left-handed G# key).

http://www.worldtrad.org

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:22 am 

kkrell wrote:
Do you mean your right ring finger?

No, the little finger is the one that's messed up. It's only been an issue with playing a right-handed recorder. Luckily, it isn't an issue with a 6-hole flute, and I'm not sure I'll ever be ready or willing to move up to a keyed flute.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:34 am 

Dan A. wrote:
Luckily, it isn't an issue with a 6-hole flute, and I'm not sure I'll ever be ready or willing to move up to a keyed flute.

You could ask Dave Copley to build you a left-handed version of mine if you do.

Why I teach... and where
Master of nine?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:15 am 

I just wanted to say the word is flutist or (in the old days) fluter.

Flautist is a made-up word, created by a poet for a single poem. For some reason non-flutists picked up on it.

Goldie Low D whistle

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:09 am 

Not so sure about that....

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictio ... h/flautist
https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dicti ... h/flautist
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/flautist

......it appears to be well defined in dictionaries.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:38 am 

From the Oxford English Dictionary

Pronunciation:
Brit. Hear pronunciation/ˈflɔːtɪst/
, U.S. Hear pronunciation/ˈflɔdəst/
, Hear pronunciation/ˈflaʊdəst/
Frequency (in current use): Show frequency band information
Etymology: < Italian flautista, < flauto flute.

One who plays the flute, a flutist.
1860 N. Hawthorne Transformation I. x. 153 The flautist poured his breath in quick puffs of jollity.
1879 J. Stainer Music of Bible 80 The attitude will not strike a modern flautist as being either comfortable or convenient.

They have the first use in English coming from Nathaniel Hawthorne in 1860, but note that it comes from Italian and a "flautista" is a flute player in Italian. Lots of music terms are Italian, like forte or adagio.

Google Ngram Viewer has it appearing earlier than 1860 though:

https://books.google.com/ngrams/graph?content=flautist&corpus=26&year_start=1800&year_end=2019&smoothing=3&direct_url=t1%3B%2Cflautist%3B%2Cc0#t1%3B%2Cflautist%3B%2Cc0

Searching google books shows multiple instances of "flautist" in English between 1800 and 1860. For example in 1826 a London magazine called The Harmonicon included multiple advertisements for something called "the Flautist's Companion."

So the OED is clearly not accurate

Here's the link to search for "flautist" between 1800 and 1860: https://www.google.com/search?q=%22flautist%22&lr=lang_en&tbs=lr:lang_1en,cdr:1,cd_min:1/1/1800,cd_max:12/31/1860,sbd:1&tbm=bks&sxsrf=ALeKk00tWxWc4dhtuyvKXKbZ5-cEImgsMw:1601210082473&ei=4oZwX-a9HOPF1QGv9KWwCg&start=40&sa=N&ved=0ahUKEwjmtrSxrInsAhXjYjUKHS96CaYQ8tMDCIQB&biw=1695&bih=951&dpr=1.58

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:16 pm 

Dan A. wrote:
I'm unsure about how U.S. Customs may have changed over the past two years or so.

I shall soon find out. Last night I placed an order direct from Tony Dixon. If that order doesn't get hung up in U.S. Customs Purgatory, I'll consider flutes from outside the States when I'm ready to buy.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:05 pm 

What's the difference between a flautist and a flutist?
Fifty dollars an hour.