Smallest Pistol Type Case for 8 Key flute

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Conical bore
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Smallest Pistol Type Case for 8 Key flute

Post by Conical bore »

Terry McGee wrote:How did it come to be, as a matter of interest? Did you send them the flute, or a drawing, or measurements, or outlines?
I contacted Northwind by email. They asked for exact measurements of the flute which I supplied as email text, including width of each section and key touch overhang. I think I requested keeping the C foot and lower section together. No photos, they just went by the measurements.

It was priced as a custom order, but if this flute was a close enough Rudall copy they may have been able to use an existing template. I know they do make full custom cases for unusual instruments.
busterbill

Post by busterbill »

Conical bore wrote:
Terry McGee wrote:How did it come to be, as a matter of interest? Did you send them the flute, or a drawing, or measurements, or outlines?
I contacted Northwind by email. They asked for exact measurements of the flute which I supplied as email text, including width of each section and key touch overhang. I think I requested keeping the C foot and lower section together. No photos, they just went by the measurements.

It was priced as a custom order, but if this flute was a close enough Rudall copy they may have been able to use an existing template. I know they do make full custom cases for unusual instruments.
At one point when I contacted them they wanted me to send the flute. But that was 100 years ago or so. I think they may have gotten more used to making cases for our crowd. I purchased a couple from Hammy Hamilton since he had them up on his site as ready to go, and Northwind at that time had a wait. Since I didn't send measurements they came with bits of hard foam blocking covered in the same stuff as the lining, including a curved one one for a cork grease pot. The blocking was easy to cut and I put it in with a glue gun. Though if you buy from Northwind with measurements they do everything for you. If you have a favorite cleaning stick, want to add a whistle, or whatever they can do it.
Terry McGee
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Terry McGee »

I imagine that once they'd come across a few Irish flutes, they'd have realised that there wasn't that much between them, unless you crossed from the Rudall style to the Pratten's long-body style. So a few dimensions would be enough to confirm they were in the right family.
PB+J
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Post by PB+J »

This is kind of interesting. it would take some modification to work well

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... _case.html
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

The solution to this whole problem is quite simple really.....

Learn to play the harmonica.
Conical bore

Post by Conical bore »

Loren wrote:The solution to this whole problem is quite simple really.....

Egad, no! Then you'll need to get one of those ammo bandolier things to hold all those various harps/moothies in different keys! And you'll never make it through the security checkpoints at the airport. :D
Dan A.
Tell us something.: I can only hope that my proficiency with the whistle is steadily improving. A few of my whistles get a workout on an almost daily basis. And I'm almost certainly afflicted with WhOAD.

Post by Dan A. »

Conical bore wrote:...one of those ammo bandolier things to hold all those various harps/moothies in different keys!
I've seen more conventional cases for multiple harmonicas. But the "ammo bandolier thing" you speak of sounds much more interesting.
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

I have a good friend with one of those bandoleer things, except his is more of an apron. He had it custom made, and it cost him more than a Northwind case!

No thank you, indeed!

Eric
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Conical bore wrote:
Loren wrote:The solution to this whole problem is quite simple really.....

Egad, no! Then you'll need to get one of those ammo bandolier things to hold all those various harps/moothies in different keys!
There is, of course, that diabolical contraption known as the Chromatic harmonica, which obviates the need for toting around multiple harps. And, strictly speaking, the adventurous can even play a diatonic harmonica chromatically, leaving you with a pocket size instrument. But alas, then you won’t get the same “attention” from the ever music loving TSA agents as if you’d arrived at the airport strapped up with your full 12 key harmonica bandolier, and really, who doesn’t want to spend as much time as humanly possible with the ever jovial TSA staff?

On a more serious note.....

Eric, in the event you decide you want a case cover to protect your nice hard case while
traveling, it may be worth contacting Emily O’Brien at http://www.canzonet.net/ Emily is the owner/maker of Canzonet cases. She’s an accomplished recorder player and former long time Von Huene employee, who now makes the recorder rolls VH sells, as well as her own line of recorder and flute rolls. She also makes awesome bicycle luggage https://www.dillpicklegear.com/picklejar/ The woman is a hardcore bicycle commuter herself.

My time at VH overlapped with Emily’s, although she was there far longer, and I can tell you she is super cool. I am fairly certain she is open to doing custom orders for something like a flute case cover, and that way you could get exactly what you want. Just a thought.