It is currently Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:28 am 

Hi Steve,

I play key less simple system Piccolo.

Jos Morneaux makes an awesome Irish Piccolo. I have one.

I also wanted to get my hands on a Peter Worrell piccolo, I like the aesthetics and have heard and seen good things about this instrument. So, I had to have one and I'm not disappointed. It's a wonderful little instrument.

I also have an aluminum piccolo from Accordianstu who is a C&F member. That was my first piccolo and its a quality instrument.

It's an instrument that I would say falls between a fife and a flute, with flute fingering.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:24 am 

Just a note: I finally ended up getting a polymer D fife from the fife and drum shop. What follows are this beginners comments:

First off This turned out to be exactly what I need and I’m very happy with it. It’s perfectly good in the first and second octaves to play with my kids. I am a beginner so I’ll likely get even more comfortable with it over time, but even when I first picked it up it felt very natural and easy to play. I found the six hole fingering as comfortable as I’d hoped, but more than that, the instrument just felt “happy” to change direction quickly if that makes any sense. The notes seem in tune enough to play with my kids instruments and an app on my phone suggests they’re pretty close in the first octave, less so in higher octaves but that’s likely just me at this point.

As an aside It is somewhat louder than I realized it would be in the bottom of the third octave and the top of the second octave (insomuch as I actually play there which again, at this point isn’t much at all) but even that can be useful for signalling the kids to kayak back from the other side of a lake. I’m hopeful that as time goes on I’ll be able to play the few notes I might need there in a more controlled way, but I have to admit, I’m not in any rush.

I guess in short, if you’re looking for a fife like this, I’d strongly suggest considering what I chose.