Your Favourite Recorded Flute Tone

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
jenfen
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Your Favourite Recorded Flute Tone

Post by jenfen »

[quote="kildarekonga"]Great topic.
Harry Bradley is worth noting surely https://youtu.be/OQhtPY_oLZ0
Ignore the shouting in the audience.

Harry Bradley is an amazing flute player. He uses quite a bit of vibrato. I'm curious what people generally think about this? Does it align with a particular style of playing in Ireland?
kenny
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by kenny »

Harry's his own man, but if you want to listen to his main source influences, you'd need to go back to the early 20th century recordings of Tom Morrison and John McKenna. Not sure about vibrato. In common with Morrison and McKenna, it's the breath pulses, emphasising certain notes, which gives Harry's music its' great "lift" and "drive". One of my favourite Harry quotes is "there's more spit than polish in my music".
Far too long since his last recording, but he seems to be spending a lot of his musical time on the uilleann pipes these days, rather than flute. Pipers' gain, our loss.
3 of his solo recordings can be purchased through "iTunes" - "Bad Turns And Horseshoe Bends" [ my favourite flute album ever ] , for the ridiculous price of £3.99 sterling. As a Belfast friend of mine once said, "Ye'll not hear better !".
"There's fast music and there's lively music. People don't always know the difference"
RudallCarte6950
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Own and play RC 6950, made around 1888 and Boosey Pratten 14901 ( 1890 ). After three decades I am still devoted to the flute and Irish traditional music on the flute.

Post by RudallCarte6950 »

In the clips up the thread, June McCormack has a plastic tie-wrap around the D# key, keeping it sealed I guess. ( I think that's her Olwell )
She described that flute as "playing itself"