Musty cork

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Steve Bliven
antispam: No

Musty cork

Post by Steve Bliven »

Got a new-to-me flute and, when I went to adjust the cork it was quite loose and popped out. It was musty smelling and black with what I assumed to be mildew. Any thoughts on whether/how to clean it or to just put in a new one?

Thanks and best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
busterbill
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Musty cork

Post by busterbill »

I'd replace it. Mildew is tricky and cork is easy to replace. Just check out the youtube videos for clarinet cork replacement. The same steps will do you well. I got some cork off ebay a while ago, and musicmedic.com is also a reliable resource that would likely sell you a kit of everything you need. It won't be expensive.
kmag
Tell us something.: I try my best to play the flute and pipes. I have been coming here for years and now are required to fill this out for an address change.

Post by kmag »

I am thinking you are talking about the head joint cork. They do make them but I have only seen them for Boehm style flutes and I do not believe they are the same diameter. If yours is still one piece you should be able replicate one out of a wine cork. It should be an easy material to work with. I would definitely replace it though.
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

Yeah, I should have clarified that it's the head cork. Now to find someone who doesn't drink wine out of a screw top bottle.

Actually, there's a vineyard a couple of miles down the road.....

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

If it is in the 19mm range, I´ve had good luck getting suitable corks from Tawny Port wine bottles. The kind with a plastic top and attached cork extending into the bottle neck. Double win, a new cork, and a new bottle of wine!

:D Bob :D
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
jenfen

Post by jenfen »

I have nothing constructive to add to this post, but I think The Musty Cork would be a great name for a pub. :)
cavefish
Tell us something.: been out of it for awhile and decided to start back up on the flute and whistle , been doing NAFs and saxophones

Post by cavefish »

make a new cork
Choose you this day, whom ye shall serve
Dan A.
Tell us something.: I can only hope that my proficiency with the whistle is steadily improving. A few of my whistles get a workout on an almost daily basis. And I'm almost certainly afflicted with WhOAD.

Post by Dan A. »

Steve Bliven wrote:There's a vineyard a couple of miles down the road.....
I never would have guessed there were vineyards in Massachusetts!
an seanduine wrote:Double win, a new cork, and a new bottle of wine!
Yes indeed!

Returning to topic, musty wouldn't bother me (call me an odd duck if you want, but I like the smell of old books and libraries), but mildew would. As others have said, cork appears to be a consumable, so the existing cork is best replaced.