Peter Horan's "pinkies"

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
kenny
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Peter Horan's "pinkies"

Post by kenny »

I'm about to post a couple of audio clips on "Youtube" of Peter Horan, one flute solo and one with Fred Finn, and was looking at the front cover of the cassette tape sleeve. I've also recently been watching the Comhaltas tribute DVD to Peter Horan called "Still Beating Time" [ recommended if you can find it ].
I noticed on both that Peter Horan seemed to play with both "pinkies" - the little fingers of each hand - nearly always anchored on or near the posts of the Eb key and G# key. Has anyone else noticed this ? Are there any other flute players who do this ? I'm not disparaging it or anything - it obviously worked for Peter - just interested in any opinions on this, as it's not something I've seen any other flute player do.

PS - https://youtu.be/hJwWoh0GCjg

Peter Horan playing 3 reels on flute - you can see what I mean on the front of the DVD cover.
"There's fast music and there's lively music. People don't always know the difference"
Mr.Gumby
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Peter Horan's "pinkies"

Post by Mr.Gumby »

You have a bit of a view of the left hand placement here:

This one doesn't quite have the depth of field you'd want for this (and bad light) but you can see both here, just about:

My brain hurts

Squeeky Elf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Squeeky Elf »

Fantastic pictures! What years would those have been taken?
“Go not to the Elves for counsel, for they will say both no and yes.”
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

That would have been around 2005. They were launching 'Fortune favours the Merry' that week. It was the middle of the day and they were just settling in a bit, Maurice Lennon, Cathal McConnell, Ollie Ross, Peter Horan and Gerry Harrington at that point but it was one of those session that just keeps going with people dropping in and dropping out for a while. It kept going for 36 hours I believe.

Horan seemed to be around a bit at that time, shortly after he was at Feakle. I walked into Pepper's and he was playing with Jackie Daly Jackie waved me onto the musicians bench with the two of them (I didn't really want to, I don't like being put on the spot).
My brain hurts

Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

As much as I'm in awe of the quality and quantity of Mr. Gumby's photos, I'm astounded at his ability to locate them in what must be a rather sizable collection. Since I use the "it's around here somewhere" system of filing photos and graphics, I salute whatever method he has. :thumbsup: x 10.

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
kenny
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by kenny »

[Thread revival. - Mod]

Reminded of this discussion after seeing this video posted on Youtube one hour ago. Seems to confirm my observation.
https://youtu.be/oyYfFBP5a18?si=SvX8hgtUoOcUTw8S
"There's fast music and there's lively music. People don't always know the difference"
Moof
Tell us something.: My motto: If a thing's worth doing, it's worth doing badly. (Fortunately, as otherwise I'd never be allowed near a musical instrument.)

Post by Moof »

Not a fluter, but I was taught to keep both little fingers anchored on the whistle (late 1960s). Nowadays I play with the left hand pinkie anchored, but the right hand one not.
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

I do know one Irish fluter who keeps his lower-hand little finger anchored fulltime, even when playing E.

I just don't have much range of motion or dexterity with my ring finger if my little finger is anchored.

What works for me is keeping the lower-hand little finger off for E and F# and anchored for A, B, C natural and C sharp.

G depends on the notes preceding and following.

I will say that I initially learned flute the way I saw the older guys playing, using the lower-hand ring finger as an anchor for A, B, C natural, and C sharp, with G depending on context. Watch Mary Bergin to see this in action (if she hasn't changed her fingering, that is).

While this works perfectly well on flute and high whistles, having the lower-hand ring finger down for B in the 2nd octave doesn't work on many Low Whistles, so when I gave up flute for Low Whistle I had to change.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle