What is your way of half-holing?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
LimuHead
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm not new here. I have been registered here for many years. I am not a spammer, though being from Hawaii, I do enjoy eating spam. Now the site is requiring at least 100 characters in this box. It would have been nice to know that bit of information before I hit submit the first time!

What is your way of half-holing?

Post by LimuHead »

Hi C&F folks,

My question is about the different ways of half-holing notes.

How do you do it?

Notice that I'm not asking how to half-hole, but rather asking about your particular manner of doing so.

Here is my answer, starting from the Cnat (on a D flute, playing right handed):

- Cnat: rolling the LH index finger away from the embouchure hole (rolling toward the foot of the instrument). Though I usually cross finger oxxxox for this note.

- Bb/A#: tip of the LH 2nd finger covers the part of the hole on the opposite side of the lips.

- Ab/G#: same technique as Bb

- Fnat: roll RH middle finger either toward or away from the embouchure hole; normally toward the embouchure hole.

- Eb: for the lower octave: RH third finger rolled toward the emouchure hole - the note is quiet and too huffy and pretty much unusable. Upper octave: same fingering with slightly better results.

So what is your technique?

Thank you for your replies!

Aldon
My CD! Click here to listen!
Whistle, uke, guitar, English concertina & more!: http://www.nowhereradio.com/onemanband
brianholton
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: What is your way of half-holing?

Post by brianholton »

I slide to the right on my right hand, and to the left on my left hand. Seems logical.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

That's a really good question.

I cross-finger Cnat and have never been able to get a clear Eflat, whence the one-key flutes.

For all others I roll away from the head. My old teacher always advocated straightening the finger, so lifting the part that's away from the player. I was never able to get that to work right, but he played fully chromatic that way.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
busterbill

Post by busterbill »

On the flute I've usually lifted part of my finger. No rolling involved.
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Post by fatmac »

Never really thought about it before, but I sort of roll the tip of my finger off the hole a little, (i.e. less downward pressure over the entire hole) - some times backwards, sometimes to the side.
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

I avoid it as much as possible - completely on flute, really. So I only do it, very rarely, on whistles. I mostly play fully keyed flutes anyway and would avoid using a keyless for tunes requiring those accidentals. If pushed, I prefer to cross-finger rather than half-hole on both keyless flute and whistle if a usable cross-fingering is available.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads