Bamboo Flute Smells?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
ElementalWhistle
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am looking forward to learning more about whistles and sessions and tunes and this looked like a positive community and great resource.

Bamboo Flute Smells?

Post by ElementalWhistle »

I received a new bamboo flute from the maker today. It is beautiful.

I went to put it to my mouth and immediately noticed a change in the air aroma. I smelled inside the mouthpiece (and the rest of the flute holes) and there is a distinctive musky smell that (forgive me), I have only experienced when smelling molded wood/plants in a dark damp cellar/basement. Is this scent common for the inside of bamboo flutes?
tradlad123
Tell us something.: Learning more about flutes here, and looking for good makers. Also used instrument exchange is very convenient.

Re: Bamboo Flute Smells?

Post by tradlad123 »

FWIW, I got a bamboo Shakuhachi (Jinashi, so no lacquering inside) some time ago from a well known maker, and it doesn't smell funky (or musky). So I can give one data point.
vermichou

Post by vermichou »

I have a few bamboos. Never had any smell. I mean the bamboo itself smells good but it has been stabilised.
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Post by fatmac »

I bought a cheap bamboo flute, & it didn't have much of a smell at all, not even a woody one.....
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Bamboo flutes sometimes smell from having the holes burned in. It diminishes over time.