Wing Tipping Buzz Bombs and other fun

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Casey Burns
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Wing Tipping Buzz Bombs and other fun

Post by Casey Burns »

I just tried winning a one keyed flute on eBay. Was going for ridiculously cheap, around $100. I waited until the last few seconds and but $167.99 causing the winning bidder to spend $204, doubling his or her cost. Such sport is similar to the way Spitfire fliers would mess with the slipstream of Buzz Bombs causing them to circle back towards the Channel instead of their original London heading. Its kind of a sport. The flute would have been an easy one to restore and I am interested in these early 19th century one keyed flutes.

New technology for the workshop. I just sold an Atlas 6" lathe that I purchased in October, intending it for my apprentice who couldn't make it in May due to the Pandemic. We can find another when she finally makes it down here. With the money I purchased one of the newly announced iPads that feature a LIDAR camera. I'm in communication with one of the app designers to come up with a program that will take high resolution LIDAR images of instruments. This will supplement hand measuring. I'm also learning a great program called ShapR which is an iPad-based CAD program. In the fall I am getting one of the SnapMaker mills with a rotary 4th axis.

Meanwhile I am burning through the embers of flute orders from last year to this last few months getting caught u[. I have about 60 hours of bench time left and then I'll finally be caught up. I have a new exciting project that I'll announce in September my wife Nancy and I are working on together. Meanwhile we hope to enjoy some summer. We have a big garden this year.

Stay Safe!

Casey
PB+J
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Re: Wing Tipping Buzz Bombs and other fun

Post by PB+J »

I read Lost City of the Monkey God not long ago, which is all about what LIDAR has revealed to archeologists. Just astonishing what the can see now