Gilles Lehart Keyless D

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Caad10
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am looking to gain some insight into how much I might be able to sell my flute for. I have a wooden keyless flute in the key of D that does not get enough use and thinking about selling it so looking to see how much I can get for it.

Gilles Lehart Keyless D

Post by Caad10 »

Thinking about selling my Gilles Lehart Keyless D flute. Bought directly from Lehart in 2012/2013.

I know these go for around £750 new from Lehart these days but was looking to find out what I should be looking for if I sell?

Still not sure if i will part with it, it's just not getting played as much as it should!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Re: Gilles Lehart Keyless D

Post by Nanohedron »

Kind of a tough one, there. You could start with what you paid, but the usual practice is to allow for a certain amount of depreciation even if the flute is pristine. It would depend on the flute, though; if it's comparatively rare, you probably wouldn't be faulted for asking a higher price than the original.

Members will be hesitant to give you public suggestions, because C&F has a policy against price policing on items for sale on the Board, and your request for pricing advice sets foot in that arena. Here's how it works: If you offer your flute here at C&F for the imaginative sum of £2000, members are prohibited from publicly criticizing what would rightly be considered an unreasonable inflation. But by the same token, you're probably not going to make a sale, either. Still, in the unlikely event that someone wants it badly enough, or is ignorant enough to buy it at that price even though LeHart's normal prices are readily to be found online, that's between the buyer and you. Admin cannot be involved in these things. But know this: overpricing will also put you very much on our radar.

So in a nutshell, basically you're on your own, Caad10, although not entirely: Admin hasn't really had reason to discuss it, but I'm personally inclined to see PMs and emails as standing outside the price policing prohibition, so until further (unanticipated) notice, there should be no problem with getting advice through those channels. You still have yet to complete your requisite 3 approved first posts before you can use PMs and the Used Instruments Exchange, though; you've got 2 more submissions to go until you're granted full permissions. But don't PM Admin for pricing advice; as already stated, we cannot be involved in these things as 3rd-party arbiters or mediators. We may only step in when it's brought to our notice that there's something more crooked than the mere venality of overpricing going on: fencing stolen goods, for example.

Speaking of which, this is as good an opportunity as any to introduce you to the Board's policies and principles:

https://forums.chiffandfipple.com/viewt ... =2&t=84192

We call it the CCCP for short, and it's at the top of every forum page for your reference. It's a bit home-spun, and some of it is wordy, but sometimes it has to be. The main thing is to use it as questions arise; it's well-indexed for your convenience. :)
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician