R.I.P. Kevin Henry

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Steampacket
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

R.I.P. Kevin Henry

Post by Steampacket »

Kevin Henry, flute player and uilleann piper passed away yesterday. A fine traditional musician

https://tg4.ie/en/player/play/?pid=6025 ... ode=017610
PlanxtyPipes
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Flute, whistle, and (beginner) fiddle player! I live in the Charlotte, NC area and love Irish Traditional Music.

Re: R.I.P. Kevin Henry

Post by PlanxtyPipes »

RIP Kevin. Your music and recitations will be sorely missed in Chicago and beyond I'm sure. I am so glad I stumbled across his music in the not so distant past.
kenny

Post by kenny »

I'm really, really sorry to hear this. I was fortunate enough to be in the right place at the right time twice, in Mullagh at the Willie Clancy week on two separate occasions when Kevin dropped into sessions. Apart from his punchy style of flute playing, I enjoyed the fun he would inject into a session with his recititations. I recorded one session, maybe around 10 years ago, and have recently digitised a few reels, with a recitation in the middle. I had been going to add it to "Youtube" just a few days ago, but got distracted. I will add it later today as a tribute to, and in memory of, a great Irish traditional musician.
RIP, Kevin Henry.
"There's fast music and there's lively music. People don't always know the difference"
kenny

Post by kenny »

pS - Apparently all of the tracks from Kevin's solo CD have been "provided" to "Youtube" by "CDBaby" - here's a starter recitation - "Rex"

https://youtu.be/Fg3JMWjmGcw
"There's fast music and there's lively music. People don't always know the difference"
PB+J
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Post by PB+J »

So sorry to hear that. Good man
kenny

Post by kenny »

Posted in memory of Kevin Henry :
https://youtu.be/XfjZ_sg0tcU

[ PS - I have remembered that it was not me who recorded this, but an occasional contributer here who sent me the recording. ]
busterbill

Post by busterbill »

If you played in a session in Chicago chances are you played a number of Kevin Henry sets, as well as played along side musicians he mentored. He did so much for the music in Chicago