Tune ID

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
SteveB
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am a flute player. I play ITM pretty much exclusively. Like to browse and occasionally post on flute related discussions

Tune ID

Post by SteveB »

Hi,

I came across the great YouTube clip of a flute player named Madonna Heron:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=y6vkk4SrL30

The first tune in the set sounds very familiar. I am sure I have at least one recording of that tune by another player, but searches through my iTunes library for “The wild irishman” are drawing a blank. Is there another name by which this tune is more commonly known?

Much appreciated,

Steve
Mr.Gumby

Re: Tune ID

Post by Mr.Gumby »

It's a version of Lucky in love, I would think.
My brain hurts

whit36
Tell us something.: I have been playing Irish Traditional Music for about 30 years. I play whistles and simple system wooden flutes. My favorites are my Copeland D and my O’Riordan C/D Set. I play Ralph Sweet (RIP) flutes and have his rosewoods in D and F. I recently had Dave Copley make me a Blackwood in D which is rewarding me as I become a stronger flute player. I also purchased an Mezzo A whistle in brass from Ronaldo Reyburn and hope to continue working toward a low D. I play in a weekly session at a pub in a nearby town. I have visited your forum frequently as a guest. I enjoy the comments from your members for both my instruments. I am also always on the lookout for good used ones. Thanks for considering my application.

Post by whit36 »

Could it be the Galtee Reel?
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Not Lucky in Love; Not The Galtee. It is actually The Wild Irishman. I don't have another name for it, but it's pretty commonly played in sessions, certainly in the West of Ireland. It's in Bulmer and Sharpley as The Wild Irishman, but the tune by that name in the session.org is a different, commonly played tune.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Ah feck, you're right. Thing is, I do play it but can't put my finger on it immediately.

[Thinks hard, plays tune and manages to place it..]

Flowers of Red Mill.
My brain hurts

benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.

Post by benhall.1 »

Mr.Gumby wrote:Ah feck, you're right. Thing is, I do play it but can't put my finger on it immediately.

[Thinks hard, plays tune and manages to place it..]

Flowers of Red Mill.
Yep. I've never heard that name for it before. Strange how these things happen, isn't it? I mean, you know, I only know it by one name, somebody else only knows it by another etc etc
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

It has that name on Catherine & John McEvoy's recording but I already had it when that came out. Fluteplayer's tune, Patsy Hanly, probably.
My brain hurts

benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

Mr.Gumby wrote:It has that name on Catherine & John McEvoy's recording but I already had it when that came out. Fluteplayer's tune, Patsy Hanly, probably.
Aye. Makes sense.
kenny
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by kenny »

It [ ie - the first reel ] was recorded as "Flowers Of Red Mill" by John McKenna in 1928. The insert booklet notes from the double-CD issue "The Music And Life Of John McKenna" released a few years back say of this reel :
"No known published sightings prior to the McKenna recording"
"There's fast music and there's lively music. People don't always know the difference"
SteveB
Tell us something.: I am a flute player. I play ITM pretty much exclusively. Like to browse and occasionally post on flute related discussions

Post by SteveB »

The Flowers of Red Mill.....of course! Thanks for the ID. It was driving me nuts!

BTW, check out Patsy Hanley’s take on this tune:https://www.itma.ie/digital-library/sou ... ill-hanley

Simply awesome playing.

SteveB