Wooden flute sounds better during the heatwave?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Damien Rogeau
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Hi. I'm Damien and I play the flute (Irish, Boehm, tin and low whistle). I'm also a piano player and more recently guitar and bagpipe player. Also I'm not a spam robot :)

Wooden flute sounds better during the heatwave?

Post by Damien Rogeau »

Hi,

I've been playing quite a lot this last 10 days because I had a concert with my nordic folk music quartet
and I realized how better my wooden flute (mopane) seems to sound during the heatwave. Even the 3rd octave seems easy to play.

But is that possible?
Also, I've had this feeling for quite a long time especially when I drink tea before playing.

Has any of you encountered this? Could it be because the air is very humid? And does that mean I should oil my flute more often?

The other possibility is that playing a lot improves the embouchure work but it seems to me there is more than that. Because it's clear to me that some days are awesome, some are bad and some are ok for my flute sound. Now is it the weather or something else? I don't know!
Tin whistle (2013) : Tweaked Generation Bb, Tweaked Thomann C, Le Coant D, Löfgren D/C
Low whistle (2013) : MK pro low D, Clover whistles A/G/F, PVC A/A phrygian dominant
Irish flute (2014) : B.Gabos bamboo Eb, 6 keyed É.Juilleret

Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/damien-rogeau-defrance/tracks
kintailpipes
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Wooden flute sounds better during the heatwave?

Post by kintailpipes »

Interesting thought.

We're experiencing a bit of a heat wave now and I feel that my instruments like the warmer temperatures and humidity but not the direct sunlight.

Nice music link, I had a listen.
ChrisCracknell
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ChrisCracknell »

Where are you playing? Because different rooms make the flute sound very different. Playing in the bathroom is very resonant and playing outdoors feels deceptively weak due to the lack of reflections. Maybe during the lockdown you were playing in a smaller room than otherwise? Or maybe it is just practice?

Also, in warmer weather, your body may be loosened up more before you start and the tea may either wake you up more (stimulant) or moisturise your lips and mouth/throat.

If you really want to know then the only way is to play with the variables one at a time.
ChrisCracknell
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ChrisCracknell »

Unlikely, but if your flute leaks normally then higher humidity might cause joints, thread, cork or wood to swell, sealing the holes?
Damien Rogeau
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Hi. I'm Damien and I play the flute (Irish, Boehm, tin and low whistle). I'm also a piano player and more recently guitar and bagpipe player. Also I'm not a spam robot :)

Post by Damien Rogeau »

kintailpipes wrote: Nice music link, I had a listen.
Thank you!
ChrisCracknell wrote:Where are you playing?
Well actually I played in a lot of different rooms including the two rooms that I'm really used to. I also played outside and it was less deceptive than I would have imagine.
ChrisCracknell wrote: Also, in warmer weather, your body may be loosened up more before you start and the tea may either wake you up more (stimulant) or moisturise your lips and mouth/throat.
I think that may be part of the answer, I know I have a bad sound when I have chapped lips so I guess it makes sense.
ChrisCracknell wrote: If you really want to know then the only way is to play with the variables one at a time.
Yess, I wish I could control the weather haha!
ChrisCracknell wrote:Unlikely, but if your flute leaks normally then higher humidity might cause joints, thread, cork or wood to swell, sealing the holes?
Hm I'll check that whenever my sound gets bad again, thx for the ideas.
Tin whistle (2013) : Tweaked Generation Bb, Tweaked Thomann C, Le Coant D, Löfgren D/C
Low whistle (2013) : MK pro low D, Clover whistles A/G/F, PVC A/A phrygian dominant
Irish flute (2014) : B.Gabos bamboo Eb, 6 keyed É.Juilleret

Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/damien-rogeau-defrance/tracks