Hall Crystal Flutes - Piccolo in "C"

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
kintailpipes
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Hall Crystal Flutes - Piccolo in "C"

Post by kintailpipes »

Hi everyone
Someone gifted me a Hall Crystal Flute - Piccolo in "C" and I was wondering if anyone is familiar with these crystal flutes. This is the first one I've ever seen and I've been struggling to find the sweet spot.

What are your impressions of these flutes?
Thanks
PB+J
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Re: Hall Crystal Flutes - Piccolo in "C"

Post by PB+J »

We have one of those someone gave us, in G, and I find it completely unplayable.
kintailpipes
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by kintailpipes »

I have come to the same conclusion, really difficult to get a proper sound. Very pretty to look at, though.
PB+J
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Post by PB+J »

I can get good consistent one out of a D Irish Flute, a low Bb flute, and a Boehm flute, but I can't get anything at all from the hall flute. Maybe one note. I suppose it could be that it's higher pitched--I've got no experience at all with fifes. But I have my doubts