It is currently Wed May 27, 2020 10:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 9:54 pm 

Hi all,

Long time lurker here, and finally have a question that I'm confident won't be answered with a 'why don't people use the search button...' tantrum!

The last few months I've been flute shopping online - mostly hoping for a real bargain to appear on ebay, but also checking out all the big makers' sites to get a feel for what's out there. I thought I'd found pretty much EVERY flute maker with a web presence, but just now I happened across this fellow. 'Anistratov'. He's based in Moscow and makes bagpipes, uilleann pipes, flutes and whistles at a price point that is either deluded or suggestive of a pretty high quality instrument. A blackwood keyless goes for EU990, up to EU4385 for an 8-key model. A full set of Uilleann pipes is EU8300.

So...who is this guy, that I've never heard of, selling instruments that cost as much (or more) as a Hamilton, Olwell or any of the usual suspects? The site says he's been active since 1999, yet nary a review or mention of him can I find except a 2015 post on the session by someone who acquired a used set of his border pipes.

So, two questions, to sate my curiosity.

1) Does anyone know anything about Anistratov, and has anyone encountered or purchased any of his instruments? If not, can anyone with a better knowledge of flutes (or a flutemaker, ideally) hazard some opinions on his work based on what we can see on the site? http://anistratovbagpipes.com/index.html
2) How many 'premium price point' makers are out there that get missed simply because a google search will tend to nudge you in the direction of the already-more-popular makers' sites?

Suffice to say, this is NOT some attempt to hawk Anistratov flutes. I've never heard of the man until an hour or so ago, and am just looking to satisfy my curiosity. Having combed these forums for several years I'm confident that within ten minutes I'll have fifty people arguing about whether Prattens or Rudalls are louder and whether pipers grip is ergonomic, but that's entertaining as well.

Cheers!

:)

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 12:36 am 

Same reply as on thesession.org:

You're right, there have been few mentions, but there are some, going back some years. Plus lots of videos of him as a performer. The instruments look well constructed with solid-looking keywork (and he has optional keyway liners). In part I think that based on where he works, & his primary focus on small pipes, gaita, etc., that we just don't hear much about that world. Prices are in-line with quality workshops in Europe, UK, Ireland & the U.S. - definitely marketed as a premium product line.

You might try contacting influences and/or customers Ronan Browne, Ray Sloan, & Carlos Nuñes for their opinions on his work.

http://www.worldtrad.org

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 3:26 am 

I just did some more googling (without specifying "flute") and found a bit more, mostly bagpipe related (mostly videos and a mention on a piping site). He's certainly a competent player, to my ear at least.

I'm glad you agree - from my (extremely) limited knowledge of instrument making, they seemed like the genuine article. Hopefully a piper of some pedigree will chime in and say 'Anistratov? Best kept secret of Europe! Shh!' or something and confirm it.

I wasn't really planning on ordering from him - I've already got a few ideas about that. I was more just interested in the enigma of someone charging top dollar for instruments in a field that I thought I was relatively familiar with. That said, he might be making the best flutes in the world but only the Russians know about them...