It is currently Wed May 27, 2020 10:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 10:19 pm 

I am thinking of acquiring another keyless flute. I have a Lehart currently, and want to explore other zones in the Rudall/Pratten spectrum, so looking for opinions on 1) where on the spectrum do Leharts sit, and 2) which other makers are different. For starters, I am looking into Lesouef, Ormiston, Lejeune, Martin Doyle flutes (and more suggestions welcome).

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 11:30 pm 

What is a spectrum and a zone in your post? Not sure what you mean. Not instrument terminology I have heard before.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 12:29 am 

By spectrum I mean the range of tone/style/etc from Rudall on one hand to Pratten on the other. Most flute makers make somewhat of a combination, from what I understand.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 3:10 am 

If we were talking about antique flutes, I would say that a spectrum would not be the best way of looking at Rudall and Pratten flutes, because historically, there are scarce few instruments (if any) that could be said to share the qualities of both. I do think with modern makers blending the designs together, it could be a useful way of categorising these new flutes. Regarding the makers already mentioned, I would associate Lesouef and Ormiston as aiming for a Rudall design. Lejeune certainly seems to offer the largest tone holes on his Rudall model, in addition to offering a Pratten model, so perhaps he could be considered as being more towards the "Pratten ideal." Personally, I think Martin Doyle's flutes are a unique animal in their own right, as his design appear to have radically departed either traditional model, so probably wouldn't fit onto our spectrum. For Pratten inspired flutes, the makers that come to mind for me are Olwell, Hamilton and some of Chris Wilkes's offerings.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 3:58 am 

I'd consider Lehart to be closest to what you'd expect from a Pratten model, and agree that Martin Doyle's are quite unique.

http://www.worldtrad.org