19th cen 1-key - head crack repair - need advice please

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
deisman
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a traveling man, made a lot of stops. All over this world. And in every port, I own the heart of a cute little girl. Woah, I'm a travel'n man. Yes, I'm a travel'n maa-an. Woah, I'm a travel'n man.

19th cen 1-key - head crack repair - need advice please

Post by deisman »

Hello,

I've had this cool old high d flute/fife forever, and finally trying to make it sing again. It's got a long crack that shoots thru the whole head - fortunately not thru the embouchure. The head is unlined, so only working with wood. - no tuning slide.

I have yet to get the crown to budge - any advice there is appreciated. I need to get it off so I can fully clean the head crack. I thought about drilling out the cork with a long spade bit, and poping it out the top, but unsure if that's wise.

I'm mostly done cleaning out the old superglue w/acetone (see photo).

So - assuming I can remove the crown and fully clean the cracks - what would the next steps be?

A. Glue crack shut with superglue and automotive clamps? - or make a jig and glue/clamp closed in a soft vise?

B. Fill remaining crack indent w/superglue mixed with cocus dust?

I don't want to blow it at this point - so hoping someone experienced can advise about this delicate point. BTW - it's hydrated as it lives in the room w/my humidifier.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/zCtjsCvEtjBXNhjL8

Appreciatively,

Deisman
I'm on it...
cavefish
Tell us something.: been out of it for awhile and decided to start back up on the flute and whistle , been doing NAFs and saxophones

Re: 19th cen 1-key - head crack repair - need advice please

Post by cavefish »

it looks dry, you could oil or water it to get closer to the normal size, , then wait for the oil/water to evaporate blow out any residue ,then make the repair, --,one of the first things is , you need to get a ferrule, or some sorts or binding , or just rely on the wood itself to hold the repair ????,,but i would think it might split again next to the repaired split,,, the crack once stabilzed you can use Cyanoacrylate glue mixed with the same sawdust the flute is made of , , , to be honest you need a ferrule,thats the most important thing -- unless you know how to make one, the pro have the tools, ,, food for thought, as far as the crown, i always use a dowel of the same diameter to adjust and remove the crown and plug
Last edited by cavefish on Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Choose you this day, whom ye shall serve
Terry McGee
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Terry McGee »

deisman wrote:I've had this cool old high d flute/fife forever, and finally trying to make it sing again.
High D. So you are really talking piccolo.
It's got a long crack that shoots thru the whole head - fortunately not thru the embouchure. The head is unlined, so only working with wood. - no tuning slide.
Woah, that's an amazing crack for an unlined head! I can only imagine that the owner left it wet after playing it for a very long session and having not oiled it for a very long time!
I have yet to get the crown to budge - any advice there is appreciated. I need to get it off so I can fully clean the head crack. I thought about drilling out the cork with a long spade bit, and popping it out the top, but unsure if that's wise.
I'd try first to dislodge it with a piece of dowel or rod that just passes up the bore from the bottom end. Hold the head vertically above the bench with the rod in place and bang the end of the rod down on the bench. It might take a few goes, but it usually comes free.
I'm mostly done cleaning out the old superglue w/acetone (see photo).
So - assuming I can remove the crown and fully clean the cracks - what would the next steps be?
It would be nice to get that crack to close a bit. I've used a pressure cooker to "steam bend" the wood, quickly wrapping it tightly in string once the pressure cooker has softened it. I've also used cheyney hose clips to close such cracks, eg:

https://www.ebay.com.au/i/283733806587? ... 4qEALw_wcB

You'd need at least four or five. Then you need to leave it a week or so to dry out before removing string or clamps. I'd leave the decision on what to do next until after reviewing how well you'd closed the cracks.
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

I agree with Terry. Luthiers' fingerboard strap/band clamps are ideal for the job, e.g. https://beareandson.co.uk/fingerboard-s ... t2EALw_wcB

Last edited by jemtheflute on Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
cavefish
Tell us something.: been out of it for awhile and decided to start back up on the flute and whistle , been doing NAFs and saxophones

Post by cavefish »

could be a sweet project especially once the finale succeeded , i would still get a sweet metal ferrule
Last edited by cavefish on Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Choose you this day, whom ye shall serve
Terry McGee
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Terry McGee »

Indeed, cavefish, it will be essential to support the thin wood of the socket once the head cracks are glued. Any convenient flute maker could probably supply a replacement if told the width and OD of the ring ledge.