Looking to buy my first Trevor jame Flute.

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Islander1
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I have been interested in the flute for years. I now fill the time is right to get my first flute and learn how to play. I just want some advice on my first flute. I have 2 in mind but want to no the difference between them.

Looking to buy my first Trevor jame Flute.

Post by Islander1 »

I hope I am posting this in the right place.
Hi I am looking to buy my first flute I like the sound of Trevor Jame Flutes. Could you please tell me the difference between these models.
Trevor Jame 10x - 10xE - 10xii 10xiii
Andro
Tell us something.: Beginning flute and whistle player. Starting out seriously in Irish Traditional Music. Also interested in flute making.

Re: Looking to buy my first Trevor jame Flute.

Post by Andro »

Hi! You would be better off asking on some of the forums specifically for modern Boehm flutes, such as the Flute Forum on facebook. While I am sure many members here have Boehm flutes, the focus at C&F is more on whistles and flutes for Irish traditional music and so on.

One word of advice when looking at different models from a given maker: price is not everything. Play them, if you can get to a dealer. So much depends on cut of embouchure, and a dozen other factors.
Tonehole
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Tonehole »

Islander1 wrote:I hope I am posting this in the right place.
Hi I am looking to buy my first flute I like the sound of Trevor Jame Flutes. Could you please tell me the difference between these models.
Trevor Jame 10x - 10xE - 10xii 10xiii

Hi Islander,

Not sure about this being the right place, but it is a place.

The Trevor James Boehm flutes are fine starter flutes. Your interest in the 10x beginner (base model) series is a machined Taiwan based produced commercial flute. If you like the sound, what have you compared it to?

The designations refers to the age/generation and small improvements (such as the extra durable coating to protect the silver plating) and the latest model. They all sound very similar with little perceptible difference in sound. The difference is mostly its durability before having to service/overhaul it due to age. The newer one being covered by warranty and less pad wear etc.

Since it's your first flute, there's probably no great advantage to getting the latest 10xIII model since you will upgrade after a few grades or a few years on it - provided you don't buy an older model which requires the cost of a CLA overhaul added. The Virtuoso model is really where Trevor James takes off. Do audition the standard Yamaha 211 series if you can. As a beginner, you might prefer the darker tone of the Yamaha over the Trevor James. There is a list of recommended flutes by some of the US based flute players social media- the Trevor James is on this recommendation.
Islander1
Tell us something.: I have been interested in the flute for years. I now fill the time is right to get my first flute and learn how to play. I just want some advice on my first flute. I have 2 in mind but want to no the difference between them.

Post by Islander1 »

Thank you all for the great advices.
Would you recommend the Trevor J James Privilege Flute?
I was also looking at Yamaha 222 just trying to workout what will be best for me.
Tonehole
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Tonehole »

Did you work it out?

The TJ Privilege is very good for a beginner flute. Can you afford the Virtuoso?

Maybe see if that works, so that you can do more (stay with it longer before an upgrade).

It is probably better value than the Yamaha 222 which is very decent.