FS Rudall, Carte & Co no 7366

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
ferdia
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Full time musician from Scotland. Play mostly flute and bodhran. Looking for some information on a flute bought recently.

FS Rudall, Carte & Co no 7366

Post by ferdia »

Hi

Check out listing for my RC&C

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=110042

Cheers
Flutern
Tell us something.: I have a keen interest in wooden flutes (modern and antique), early music (Renaissance, Baroque), Romantic music and Irish Traditional Music of course! I also play the clarinet (my first instrument) and I've also started learning the cittern.

Re: FS Rudall, Carte & Co no 7366

Post by Flutern »

I love the keywork, but does it play well at 440? From what I understand, RC&C flutes in the 7000+ range were high pitched.
Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

There was a thread on the Facebook Group "Flute History Channel". If you Join, you can use the group's Search function to look for David Foley and easily find the discussions. At least 2 threads, 30-60 comments each.

Consensus from the enthusiasts and flute makers participating seems to be that the flute was designed as a high pitch D, and manufactured by a German supplier & branded by RR&C in 1905, not made in-house at RR&C. Sounding length measurement appears to be consistent with that opinion. With the head quite extended on the slide, it can apparently reach A=440, but the internal tuning is likely to be stretched.
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
Flutern
Tell us something.: I have a keen interest in wooden flutes (modern and antique), early music (Renaissance, Baroque), Romantic music and Irish Traditional Music of course! I also play the clarinet (my first instrument) and I've also started learning the cittern.

Post by Flutern »

kkrell wrote:There was a thread on the Facebook Group "Flute History Channel". If you Join, you can use the group's Search function to look for David Foley and easily find the discussions. At least 2 threads, 30-60 comments each.

Consensus from the enthusiasts and flute makers participating seems to be that the flute was designed as a high pitch D, and manufactured by a German supplier & branded by RR&C in 1905, not made in-house at RR&C. Sounding length measurement appears to be consistent with that opinion. With the head quite extended on the slide, it can apparently reach A=440, but the internal tuning is likely to be stretched.
Thanks for the information, I wasn't aware of that as I don't use facebook :oops:
Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.
Steampacket
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Steampacket »

I love the keywork, but does it play well at 440? From what I understand, RC&C flutes in the 7000+ range were high pitched.
Rudall, Carte & Co. simple system flutes were made over a few decades, so are not uniform. My RC&Co. no. 7103 was made in June/July 1891, and plays in tune at A=440 with the slide out at 17/18 mm. No scale issues, in tune with itself.

RC&Co. 7366 was made 13/14 years later by another flute maker and stamped RC&Co. It also has a new barrel. The seller is a very good flute player so I'd assume that this flute also plays well at A=440.
ferdia
Tell us something.: Full time musician from Scotland. Play mostly flute and bodhran. Looking for some information on a flute bought recently.

Post by ferdia »

Here's a recording of the flute.

https://soundcloud.com/david-ferdia-lit ... -7366-demo

Cheers
David
Steampacket
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Steampacket »

Sold on eBay for £910