Mesquite for flutes?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
AngelicBeaver
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistles since 2010. I love how varied whistles are in their design, construction, tone, and handling. Though I've largely settled on what I enjoy playing, I'm still a sucker for an interesting new design.

Mesquite for flutes?

Post by AngelicBeaver »

I live in Texas, so we have a lot of mesquite here. I know it's used in furniture quite often, but I was curious if anyone had experimented with its use in wooden flutes.
Nathaniel James Dowell
bradhurley
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Mesquite for flutes?

Post by bradhurley »

It's used for Native American flutes; I've never seen an Irish-style flute made of mesquite but I don't get out much. ;-)

Some uilleann pipes makers use mesquite for the tubes of their drone reeds; my pipes' drone reeds are mesquite with spruce tongues.
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

Mesquite has a lot of wind-shake and wind-wrack, so getting clear turning blanks is always problematic. It is very tough on tools and suffers from a lot of tear-out if you take deep cuts. But it is dense, hard and stable. My advise, treat it like metal, and try to get it cheap so you won´t fear tossing the workpiece aside when a defect emerges.

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

I've turned some mesquite. The biggest problem is that it's porous. The only way to make the bore smooth is to use a fairly heavy finish.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.