need appraisal for Grinter flute

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
SusanCW
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

need appraisal for Grinter flute

Post by SusanCW »

I need to re-appraise my flute for insurance purposes. It's a Michael Grinter Grenadilla fully-keyed (down to low C) Rudal-Rose-style flute, and sadly, I can't ask Michael what it's worth. Can anyone give me an idea what I should insure it for?

Thanks!
Susan Craig Winsberg
jim stone

Re: need appraisal for Grinter flute

Post by jim stone »

Search on Irish Flute Store. Go to preowned flutes. There's a board. There may be a couple of Grinters there, with prices. Also when you click on 'flutes' you will see 'Sold' as an option. Go there and there are lists and pics of flutes with prices, including Grinters. That should give you a good idea of the market value of these flutes (supposing the flute is in good shape).
Andro
Tell us something.: Beginning flute and whistle player. Starting out seriously in Irish Traditional Music. Also interested in flute making.

Post by Andro »

Hello Susan,

How lucky you are to have such a fine instrument. There were/are two on Irish Flute Store for USD$8500, but the vendor of one reduced the price somewhat. Given the reputation of Michael Grinter and the fact that there won't be any more, I think the price will only skyrocket in the future. Certainly hard to imagine it going down from there.

For appraisal, don't you need an experienced maker/vendor to write a valuation document? I'm not sure.

All the best!
busterbill

Post by busterbill »

Andro wrote:Hello Susan,

How lucky you are to have such a fine instrument. There were/are two on Irish Flute Store for USD$8500, but the vendor of one reduced the price somewhat. Given the reputation of Michael Grinter and the fact that there won't be any more, I think the price will only skyrocket in the future. Certainly hard to imagine it going down from there.

For appraisal, don't you need an experienced maker/vendor to write a valuation document? I'm not sure.

All the best!
I would think a letter of appraisal from someone with a searchable reputation like Blayne at the Irish Flutes store in the US or Terry McGee out in Australia would suffice for an insurance company. I know for violins you can walk into most violin shops and get an appraisal written up for a small price. These are usually letters on their shop's letterhead with a description of the violin's characteristics (color, wood grain, label and measurements) along with an estimated retail value. If an insurance company feels this appraisal to be inflated they will consult their own experts. But the experts in simple system flutes by modern makers are few and far between. Those two people spring to mind but perhaps a maker who is willing to take the time would be fine as well. Since simple system flutes are so unusual outside a few small circles it is complicated to find the correct person. An insurance company needs to believe the expert actually is one.

I recall bringing a post mounted Wilkes to a local highly experienced woodwind and brass instrument repair shop. This was a repair I was sure anyone with oboe or clarinet experience could do. The repair was done very nicely, but the flute did become a bit of a celebrity amongst the repair people there. Even with their average of 40 years of experience in the repair business, no one had never seen one in person. :D