WTB: 6-key Flute Lesoef / Watson / other - pref.sent from

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
pixyy
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Just updating my profile after 16+ years of C&F membership. Sold most of my flutes, play the ones I still own and occasionally still enjoy coming here and read about flute related subjects.

WTB: 6-key Flute Lesoef / Watson / other - pref.sent from

Post by pixyy »

Hi everyone,
Having been keyless for the past 7 years, and delrin at that, now that I am playing regularly again, I have not the patience for the long wait for a new keyed flute.

Looking for a 6-keyed wooden flute (blackwood or mopane), expecially interested in flutes by Solen Lesouef or Glenn Watson, but will surely consider others.
Due to shipping cost / custom tax etc, I prefer sales in EU, but again, will consider others.

I know this may be a long shot, but here I am... shootin'

Contact me by PM or at runemeijer[at]pm.me

Cheers
Rune
Jeggy
Tell us something.: Started playing trad about 25 years ago with tin whistles, and bought first flute about 20 years ago. Played very sporadically, with very little discipline or tuition and unsurprisingly made little progress. Started playing again a couple of years ago after not playing much for 15-16 years.

Re: WTB: 6-key Flute Lesoef / Watson / other - pref.sent fro

Post by Jeggy »

Hi Rune

This is not from the EU but the Irish Flute Store (Colorado, USA) has a 6 keyed Glenn Watson flute.

https://www.irishflutestore.com/collect ... lver-6-key

I've just placed an order for a keyed flute from Solen Lesouef which I'm very excited about, but it's a 32 month wait!
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Jeggy wrote:Hi Rune

This is not from the EU but the Irish Flute Store (Colorado, USA) has a 6 keyed Glenn Watson flute.

https://www.irishflutestore.com/collect ... lver-6-key

You might want to make certain that flute isn’t cracked before ordering.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

I corresponded with Blayne about this. There is a tiny, short crack on the back of the headjoint, he says, which slipped through. He says he will seal it so it is invisible. I believe the price will be lowered. The ad will be amended accordingly to inform readers, he says.
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

jim stone wrote:I corresponded with Blayne about this. There is a tiny, short crack on the back of the headjoint, he says, which slipped through. He says he will seal it so it is invisible. I believe the price will be lowered. The ad will be amended accordingly to inform readers, he says.
Cracked headjoint and the flute was only lowered $100? At $2900. the flute is overpriced by at least $700-$800: My Boxwood 6 key Watson just sold for $2200. after many months on the market and no takers at $2400. My Watson had no cracks, and unlike the flute Blayne has, my flute included the nice original handmade wooden case Glenn made.

I don’t begrudge anyone asking whatever price they choose for an instrument, certainly I’ve asked some “high“ prices for instruments I’ve paid a lot for. I’m just pointing out out what the ”market” decided a similar flute with an upgraded case and no cracks sold for a whole lot less after sitting on the market a long time.

Also IMO, a headjoint crack lowers the value of a 3k instrument by a lot more than $100.

Watsons are nice flutes though, I will say that. Mine was delightful, and the new owner seems to be thoroughly enjoying it.
pixyy
Tell us something.: Just updating my profile after 16+ years of C&F membership. Sold most of my flutes, play the ones I still own and occasionally still enjoy coming here and read about flute related subjects.

Post by pixyy »

I passed on the Watson, since unless someone can carry it across the pond for me, danish authorities will add 25% VAt and import taxes on it.

Looks like I just missed out on the 7-key Villoing offered on the used-instrument exchange.

So, I'm still looking.

I hope to receive a new keyless Lesouef in May, which leaves another 2 year wait for the keyed I have on order from Solen.

So I'm still looking and interested in a 6-key flute that can be my companion until then :)
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

While the rule against price policing doesn't apply to non-member off-Board sales, let us also remember that we won't always know when a seller is actually a C&F member under another guise. It could be argued that such circumstances change the game, and I think that's fair enough, but if there's a reasonable doubt or if you know that the seller, or any parties immediately concerned, are actually members here, then let's be sure to err on the side of the spirit of the law, rather than on its letter. Bear in mind that a grey area can also mean that the ice is thin.

Anyway: Just idle, roaming thoughts that I think have some merit. Carry on.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Blayne Chastain
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Blayne Chastain »

What a steal Loren! I was surprised to see your Watson take so long to sell and that you had to drop the price. The market is much larger than our awesome little community here. At IFS, instruments are priced based on makers' current pricing, wait time & comps. We'd be doing a disservice to makers and clients if we were selling at "everything must go" prices :)

Love Watson flutes. I've spent some time with Glenn in his shop and playing a session or two while we lived in Ireland. I owned an 8-key of his for a while - his key work is brilliant. He told me once that he'll sometimes spend the better part of a day just on a long f key! It shows.

Just posted a photo of the repaired area

https://www.irishflutestore.com/product ... lver-6-key

Hope this finds you keeping well,

B
Loren wrote:
jim stone wrote:I corresponded with Blayne about this. There is a tiny, short crack on the back of the headjoint, he says, which slipped through. He says he will seal it so it is invisible. I believe the price will be lowered. The ad will be amended accordingly to inform readers, he says.
Cracked headjoint and the flute was only lowered $100? At $2900. the flute is overpriced by at least $700-$800: My Boxwood 6 key Watson just sold for $2200. after many months on the market and no takers at $2400. My Watson had no cracks, and unlike the flute Blayne has, my flute included the nice original handmade wooden case Glenn made.

I don’t begrudge anyone asking whatever price they choose for an instrument, certainly I’ve asked some “high“ prices for instruments I’ve paid a lot for. I’m just pointing out out what the ”market” decided a similar flute with an upgraded case and no cracks sold for a whole lot less after sitting on the market a long time.

Also IMO, a headjoint crack lowers the value of a 3k instrument by a lot more than $100.

Watsons are nice flutes though, I will say that. Mine was delightful, and the new owner seems to be thoroughly enjoying it.
plunk111
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Post by plunk111 »

Have to mention that there is an awesome 8-key John Gallagher on the IFS, too...

https://www.irishflutestore.com/collect ... ey-pratten

Pat
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV