C natural on a keyless Solen Leseouf flute

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Marish
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm an Italian lady interested from always in the the irish music and flute in particular. I'm starting to learn playing this fantastic instrument and I'll need some advices for sure. Thx

C natural on a keyless Solen Leseouf flute

Post by Marish »

Hi folks! I'm waiting for my Solen Leseouf flute for November and I was wondering if asking to Solen to add the C natural key. I heard that she doesn't accept to add less keys than 8 keyes so I'm also not sure that she would accept to add only the C nat key.
Anyone with a keyless Solen Leseouf flute can refer how the C nat sounds? On my actual flute the sound is really poor. And I don't want to spend too much money for a full keyed flute for the moment...
Thanks in advance!
Steve Bliven

Re: C natural on a keyless Solen Leseouf flute

Post by Steve Bliven »

Her web site shows flutes with 4, 5, and 6 keys. Looks like there are other options than 8. Why not contact her and ask?

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Perhaps someone who plays one of these keyless can chime in with info about the sound.
Generally, well-made keyless flutes will sound C natural well enough.
Jeggy
Tell us something.: Started playing trad about 25 years ago with tin whistles, and bought first flute about 20 years ago. Played very sporadically, with very little discipline or tuition and unsurprisingly made little progress. Started playing again a couple of years ago after not playing much for 15-16 years.

Post by Jeggy »

Marish wrote:Hi folks! I'm waiting for my Solen Leseouf flute for November and I was wondering if asking to Solen to add the C natural key. I heard that she doesn't accept to add less keys than 8 keyes so I'm also not sure that she would accept to add only the C nat key.
Anyone with a keyless Solen Leseouf flute can refer how the C nat sounds? On my actual flute the sound is really poor. And I don't want to spend too much money for a full keyed flute for the moment...
Thanks in advance!
I have another 2.5 years to wait :(

I think you misunderstood. She no longer does 8 keyed flutes, only 6 keys or less. No idea about C Nat.
Bran Ruz

Post by Bran Ruz »

I don't play Solen's flutes but last time I played one of her nice flutes C nat sounded nice to me. On both keyed and keyless.
You really don't have to worry about it IMO. :)
And feel free to ask her. :wink:
maestrosid

Post by maestrosid »

I have two of her flutes, a keyless Eb and a six keyed D. The C natural on the D sounds well, as does the keyed note. The equivalent on the Eb is in tune and clear. Both are excellent flutes, but the Eb is wonderfully sweet. Communicate with Solen about your needs. You might also consider a C natural thumb hole. I had one on a McGee GLP and it sounded as clearly as the other fingered notes.
tstermitz

Post by tstermitz »

When I had a Solen Lesouef flute, the C natural cross-fingering worked well: OXO XXX

That is my preferred fingering anyway.
Marish
Tell us something.: I'm an Italian lady interested from always in the the irish music and flute in particular. I'm starting to learn playing this fantastic instrument and I'll need some advices for sure. Thx

Post by Marish »

Thanks to all the for the feedbacks and advice! I've asked to Solen and she referred that F nat and G sharp keys are more useful, whereas C nat can easily played with fingers, making a smokey, nice sound. And that she receives many orders for 3 keyed flutes (F and C nat plus G sharp). It's up to me.
And now the decision...I should ask to my bank account :D
Flutern
Tell us something.: I have a keen interest in wooden flutes (modern and antique), early music (Renaissance, Baroque), Romantic music and Irish Traditional Music of course! I also play the clarinet (my first instrument) and I've also started learning the cittern.

Post by Flutern »

Another reason why you might want to consider a Cnat key is that on many flutes, C# is flat unless it is vented with the Cnat key. It's probably not a big problem if you know you will stick to ITM, but for other genres that can be an issue.
Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.