Sé Mo Laoch Patsy Hanly : TG4 sunday 26 January

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Steve Bliven
antispam: No

Re: Sé Mo Laoch Patsy Hanly : TG4 sunday 26 January

Post by Steve Bliven »

SteveB wrote:The link in the OP takes me to the TG4 site, but I get an error message when I try play the vid (“VIDEO_CLOUD_ERR_UNPLAYABLE”). Anyone else getting this?

Steve B
It's still available—just watched it with great pleasure.
Try https://www.tg4.ie/en/player/categories ... ode=086789

Best wishes.

The Other Steve B
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
Fildafluter
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Learning the Irish flute, asking questions about it, reading topics related to wind instruments. What is the best Tin Whistle, that sort of thing.

Post by Fildafluter »

PB+J wrote:Yes it's always going to be artificial to varying degrees unless you record people secretly. But the question of how to present this music is interesting. I mean some forms of music are born for the stage. ITM is not one of them. It would certainly have been no more expensive to stage the performances differently. The "concert treatment" was an understandable conscious choice, no? I suspect the lingering influence of O Riada.

I like these Sé Mo Laoch films a lot--they are really enjoyable and for me very evocative of the Ireland I imagine living in but sadly never will. They tend to always be exactly the same thing though. Films of the subject now and back in the day, and excerpts from various contemporaries telling us how great they are. Generally they will be described as completely unique, and then the next film will describe the next person as completely unique and then you get to that point where if everyone is unique no one is unique. There will be very effective footage shot from drones.
This reminds me of my fascination with Cajun culture. I had imagined that my perception of it is what every stranger's would be. And your excellent observation certainly confirms what happens when a stranger experiences a rich culture, be it music, art or cuisine.

There comes a point when everything just begins to taste the same, a sort of gumbo through excessive consumption.

But that is our own perception, a 'dazzled in the headlights' sort of thing, too much, too fast, too hot etc etc.

For my part I cannot tell the difference between Mamou and Eunice Cajun music, yet to a local there is a vast difference. Of course I am not saying the poster suffers the same deaf ear for such things, just that I do.

But about Patsy Hanly there is absolutely no way in my hearing of ITM that his music is some kind of gumbo of everything, and so there is nothing unique about it. Might want to make the case for some other musicians there, but not Patsy.

Let me try to explain this better by an example. For many years I, don't know any other ITM player down here who does, have played a jig called 'The Battering Ram', in a very simple style on my student Irish Flute, because I first heard it played that way by Patsy. That's not to say he plays it in a simplistic way, far from it. Yet like many great ITM players his tunes hang in there and seem to be easily recalled later when I am trying to get them going. So far I have not found any other fluter who has the same effect on me.

Ok, I have personal history in Roscommon Co., so yeah that would explain it. Yet I heard several other Irish musicians, Clare for example, do the exact same thing, taking settings from Patsy, in some cases almost note for note.

Maybe the local style has that advantage? Maybe everybody in Kilrooskey Roscommon is the same? Yet if I listen to any of the other players featured, I do not have the same reaction. Course I am not saying that their performance is lesser because of that, since they all play brilliantly and lovely tune settings. Just that to my ear Patsy's tunes seem to stick. So I would not say this a regional thing, rather like Cooley, Coleman, etc., a persons performance is really easy listening and very memorable.

So IMHO no! I don't agree that there is no such a thing as a unique person in a population of performers, there is always a couple that stand out.

I'll get me hat.
"The more you weigh the harder you are to kidnap,
be safe, eat more ice-cream"

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1298297360297681/
PB+J
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Post by PB+J »

You maybe misinterpreted my comment. I certainly believe there are unique players. My comment was about the formula they tend to follow in the films. I don't actually blame them--filmmaking is hard, capturing a subject is difficult and takes a team of skilled people and they do a great job on the Sé Mo Laoch films. But they do tend to run to formula. Drone shots. Nice houses with fuzzy scenes out the window. Close ups of waving flowers and signs announcing welcome to....Its charming, and it's not like I have a better idea. It's just a formula.
Steampacket
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Steampacket »

I've just watched "Sé mo laoch Patsy Hanley". What a gracious, funny, wise, man and an outstanding musician. Good to see Pauline singing and hear about her. Easy to understand why Patsy is so respected and liked as a musician and person. Met Patsy once a few years ago in Miltown listening to a session in front of the outside Central, and fell easily into a conversation about Rudalls, Jon Dodd, and music. I didn't know then of Patsy's status in the world of traditional music in Ireland. As McEvoy said, "being the modest man that he is".

Frank Jordan is a new name to me though. I thought the documentary was well done with a nice balance between Patsy's flute playing, old video clips of Patsy playing, Patsy talking, and musicians talking about Patsy. What's not to like?

The flute in the "Boy on the hilltop/Bag of spuds" clip with the taped barre,l missing the low C# and foot joint ring, looks to be a Rudall, Carte & Co judging by the nickel silver keys and tuning slide, and round strike plates
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

FWIW, those clips have been sitting on youtube for donkey's years:

Boy on the Hilltop / Bag of Spuds

Killavil/Happy to Meet

Looking at them now I feel the audience is in rapt attention, listening closely and clearly enjoying the music immensely. Not like their parents made them go at all. There isn't a lot more they can do in the situation.
Good to see Pauline singing and hear about her.
Pauline was a lovely singer, first time I heard her she sang 'Easter snow', I was mesmerised. Patsy would introduce the song by playing the air on the flute or whistle and it worked beautifully the way they did it.

Image Image Image
My brain hurts

Fildafluter
Tell us something.: Learning the Irish flute, asking questions about it, reading topics related to wind instruments. What is the best Tin Whistle, that sort of thing.

Post by Fildafluter »

Mr.Gumby wrote: Pauline was a lovely singer, first time I heard her she sang 'Easter snow', I was mesmerized.
Easter Snow.
Now there's a story.
Apparently there lived a lady in the vicinity called "Esther Snow". I don't know if the song is about her, but the place got her name with a twist to the spelling, and so now it is on the map. There's a great clip on YT of a jam at Beirne's pub in Easter Snow, Boyle, Roscommon Co., Ireland with Cathy Jordan, John Carty and others where you can enjoy a local humorous exchange they call 'slagging'.

I'll get me hat.
"The more you weigh the harder you are to kidnap,
be safe, eat more ice-cream"

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1298297360297681/
cac
Tell us something.: Simple system wooden flutes, keyed and keyless. xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxx

Post by cac »

I very much enjoyed the Sé Mo Laoch documentary on Patsy Hanly and would love to be able to watch it several times. If anyone is able to download it and post it on youtube or elsewhere I will be very grateful. Most television documentaries these days are downloadable, sometimes at a reduced video quality and sometimes being available for only a few months, so I doubt that tg4 is intentionally preventing the downloading of these documentaries, but their player doesn't seem to present a downloadable version. Is there any software that allows downloading? Or does anyone have any connection with tg4 such that they could inform them of our dilemma? An additional question: does anyone know what make of flute Mr Hanly is currently playing? Thanks, Chet
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Broadcasting companies don't really encourage downlaoding and certainly not putting stuff on youtube. In the past I have used video download helper in firefox for downloading TG4 stuff but more recently they seem to have been streaming little packages of data rather than one file, which in practice prevents a full download, not sure there's a way around that.
does anyone know what make of flute Mr Hanly is currently playing?
Based on the looks of it I think I can have an educated guess but perhaps someone will come up with it.

Last edited by Mr.Gumby on Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
My brain hurts

Conical bore

Post by Conical bore »

Almost any online video that's streamed to your phone or computer can be captured as a local video file with the right app. I say "almost" because there may be exceptions I'm not aware of.

For recording streamed video on my computer I use the paid version of Movavi Screen Recorder which works well. There is a free version but it inserts a watermark and can't record system audio -- i.e. your playing or comments captured as part of the recording.

Disclaimer: this may or may not be authorized or legal depending on the source, whether your intent is covered under "fair use" copyright laws, etc. etc. etc.
PB+J
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Post by PB+J »

I capture things all the time to use in class, which is covered in the US under the doctrine of "fair use:" that is, non-profit educational purposes. I use a program called Camtasia.
cac
Tell us something.: Simple system wooden flutes, keyed and keyless. xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxx

Post by cac »

I tried the demo version of Movavi, but not being able to record system audio also meant that it recorded no audio from the video. At least I couldn't figure out how to do so. The 'watermark' one could live with. Camtasia would cost well over 300 of my poor Canadian dollars. Also tried Quicktime Player but while the video was acceptable, the audio quality was very poor. And I could not figure out how to do a screen recording with sound with VLC. I wasn't able to reach TG4 but will keep trying from time to time. Very frustrating.
mendipman
Tell us something.: I play flute and stringed instruments and enjoy playing in sessions and for step dancers and teach music part-time. My flutes are a new Gilles Lehart blackwood keyless in D, a c.1820 Clementi 'Nicholson improved' English boxwood single key in F and a simple-system 8-key English blackwood flute made by Richard Weekes of Plymouth, Devon c.1840 both in beautiful, pristine condition. I also have a wooden c.1880 English keyed flageolet. My home is in North Somerset a short distance from where my family come from at Blackford in the Mendip Hills and my repertoire are the tunes that are local to my area. That is the rural vernacular English music from when ordinary working people simply played and danced to their own rhythm with little concern for that which lay beyond a day's walk.

Post by mendipman »

Mr.Gumby wrote:TG4 is running a new series of Sé Mo Laoch, next sunday Patsy Hanly will be the subject. One not to miss (link goes to the trailer, after Sunday go to Sé Mo Laoch for the new series and episodes so far plus a few from the previous season).

Thank you for the heads up on these programmes. What a joy.

Well, there's my Lockdown Friday evening sorted. :thumbsup:
cac

Post by cac »

TG4 has made available apps for smartphones and tablets with which this video can be downloaded. The video remains 'inside' the app and cannot be transferred to a real computer afaik but it is viewable on the littler formats. Here are the links:

Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... g4videoapp
iOD: https://apps.apple.com/ie/app/tg4-player/id598591024