boxwood keyed flutes?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
jim stone

Re: boxwood keyed flutes?

Post by jim stone »

There is a famous Sam Murray boxwood flute, known affectionately as 'The Banana.' On the other hand I have a Casey B boxwood C flute that remains straight as an arrow, after 15 years.
chas
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

gwuilleann wrote:Thanks everyone for your input. I live in South Korea, where winters are dry and summers are humid. I've never had any problem with blackwood flutes so far.

Besides warping, I'm concerned that the wood might swell and shrink as the humidity changes, and that the keys might not seal well as a result. I hear this is a common problem. I know that the maker I'll get the flute from treats boxwood but I don't think he seals the bore as Casey does. I guess I should just ask him and see.
I live in the mid-atlantic US, which is pretty much the same. I've had quite a few boxwood flutes. I have one that ovalled, but the others, including a low-flute set from Casey and a keyed Olwell have been fine. The long-F on the Olwell was just a little sticky after a few months, but I consulted with them, and sanded the keyway a little (really little), and it's been fine. I've had several keyed antiques, a one-key Cameron, etc., and not a problem. The one that ovalled was not from one of the highly regarded makers, although it's a flute that I absolutely love.

ETA: it's really simple to keep a flute humidified in the winter with a plastic container and cigar humidifier, so that really should be a non-issue.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Flutern
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I have a keen interest in wooden flutes (modern and antique), early music (Renaissance, Baroque), Romantic music and Irish Traditional Music of course! I also play the clarinet (my first instrument) and I've also started learning the cittern.

Post by Flutern »

Thanks everyone, it's reassuring to also hear from people who don't have problems with boxwood. I think I'll take my chances...
Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.
kenny
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by kenny »

I have a very old boxwood flute which hasn't been played for some time now. I would appreciate any advice on bringing it back to "playing condition", and especially as to which oil it might be best to use. Thanks.
"There's fast music and there's lively music. People don't always know the difference"
Caspermilktoast

Post by Caspermilktoast »

I had a Murray 8 key in boxwood. I wouldn't say banana but definitely took a bit of a curve in winter. I have never had any sort of issue with blackwood.
"What I love about the pipes is, you can always blame the weather for your poor playing..."
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

kenny wrote:I have a very old boxwood flute which hasn't been played for some time now. I would appreciate any advice on bringing it back to "playing condition", and especially as to which oil it might be best to use. Thanks.
What I'd recommend: humidify it for several days. Oil the bore lightly with almond oil. If it has keys, cut little squares of plastic wrap and slip between the keys and body till the oil is absorbed. Play for 5 minutes once or twice a day. If it absorbs the oil quickly, oil again after a few days. Gradually increase playing, and for the first few months oil it when it looks dry, up to once a week.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

For many years I played a boxwood flute by Rudall & Rose at their 1827-1837 address and every piece was totally straight.

It was a typical 8-key flute, sterling blockmounted keys, and ivory cap and rings. Lovely both in appearance and tone.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle