FS: 8 Key Cocus Metzler Flute

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Uni Flute
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

FS: 8 Key Cocus Metzler Flute

Post by Uni Flute »

Hello everybody, I am selling my Cocus 8 key flute, marked Metzler & Co. London.
This flute is in excellent overall condition, and has keys bearing the initials of Alexander Liddle.
Please follow the link to the U.I.E for more information. :)

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=109875
Jeggy
Tell us something.: Started playing trad about 25 years ago with tin whistles, and bought first flute about 20 years ago. Played very sporadically, with very little discipline or tuition and unsurprisingly made little progress. Started playing again a couple of years ago after not playing much for 15-16 years.

Re: FS: 8 Key Cocus Metzler Flute

Post by Jeggy »

Uni Flute wrote:Hello everybody, I am selling my Cocus 8 key flute, marked Metzler & Co. London.
This flute is in excellent overall condition, and has keys bearing the initials of Alexander Liddle.
Please follow the link to the U.I.E for more information. :)

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=109875
Hi Uni. This is a nice looking flute. I'm new to the forum and haven't seen an PM button anywhere. Would you be able to provide me some more details?

About me, I started playing tin whistles 25 years ago and got first flute ( a Casey Burns) before getting a lovely Patrick Olwell Keyless. I stopped playing for about 10 years but am starting up again and have always wanted to get a keyed flute.
Uni Flute

Post by Uni Flute »

Hello Jeggy, and welcome to the group. The PM button is located at the bottom of a member's comment, to the right of the profile button. :)

I'm happy to answer any questions you have about the flute. What exactly would you like to know?
Kind Regards, Uni Flute.
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Uni Flute wrote:Hello Jeggy, and welcome to the group. The PM button is located at the bottom of a member's comment, to the right of the profile button. :)

I'm happy to answer any questions you have about the flute. What exactly would you like to know?
Kind Regards, Uni Flute.
Jeggy won't be able to get wit it and PM until after a few more posts and approval from the moderators.
See C&F Consolidated Concordat on Policy #2
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=84192#p1038845
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
Jeggy
Tell us something.: Started playing trad about 25 years ago with tin whistles, and bought first flute about 20 years ago. Played very sporadically, with very little discipline or tuition and unsurprisingly made little progress. Started playing again a couple of years ago after not playing much for 15-16 years.

Post by Jeggy »

Uni Flute wrote:Hello Jeggy, and welcome to the group. The PM button is located at the bottom of a member's comment, to the right of the profile button. :)

Kind Regards, Uni Flute.
Yes, I'm still in the 'wait and see' period. Hopefully I'll be bona fide soon!

Assuming it's ok to discuss this here, I suppose my questions are as follows:
> Is there a defined pattern? Pratten, R&R, nicholson etc? This is a largely contemporary maker so not sure what this resembles. Does it take after anything? My Olwell is a Nicholson and looking probably for something similar to a rudall ideally - something maybe more efficient on air and smaller holes.
> The crack - I don't have any experience with cracks but from what I understand, repairing and stabilising them these days is less of an issue than 20 years ago.When was it repaired? Any issues since being repaired?
> Having played it yourself, what's your favourite thing/ characteristic about this flute?

Personally, I think it's amazing that a flute like yours, and many others from the period, are still around, being played and treasured. Such a wonderful legacy.
Uni Flute

Post by Uni Flute »

Thanks kkrell, I'd forgotten about that regulation for new members.

Jeggy, since you can't PM yet, feel free to ask me your questions on this discussion, or alternatively, you can contact me on Ebay.
Regards, Uni Flute.
Jeggy

Post by Jeggy »

Hi Uni

I've bought an M&E 6 key delrin on eBay today. Really suits what I need I think as a transition to a keyed flute, R&R and something I have to worry less about than my Olwell.

I do like the Metzler you're selling though but sadly not for me this time. Best of luck to you finding a new home for it. I'm sure someone will be very pleased with it. :)