It is currently Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: Flute Upgrade
PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:47 pm 

Casey Burns wrote:
Busterbill, it is certainly possible for a small handed player to play a flute with large spacing and hole size, using the Piper's Grip method. However, many people going from playing the modern flute for years to playing a traditional 6 holed flute are more inclined to use fingertips. I myself can barely use the Piper's Grip as my finger pads and the joints in between are not exactly straight but have peaks and valleys.

This is the reality for many players that I have worked with.

Why make things more difficult by insisting that one has to have a flute with the 19th century finger spacings? This reeks of orthodoxy.

Yes, I certainly didn't mean "had to." I meant to imply a person with smallish hands may have more options than they think they do. Whatever a player decides is comfortable to them with a sound that pleases them is the best for them.

This discussion also touched on embouchure cuts, which vary from maker to maker as well as tone hole size and spacing.

I switch head joints on a couple of flutes I have and it definitely changes the sound. So yes, even with the body remaining the same the embouchure cut will affect the sound. As for reedy or focused, most good flutes can go in either direction depending on the player. Though each will have its own personality. My keyed flute's original head joint leans towards the focused, while a keyless I have leans towards the reedy so I will often switch the head joint if I want a reedy keyed flute. But both are capable of playing a good hard reel in a session or smoother if I choose.