Pakistan "Irish Flute" needs work...

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Jon C.
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

I did it... I bought a flute on ebay for $80.
It took me a month to get the wrong flute, then another month to get the one I bid on.
This is all that I could afford- anyway it has string winding on the joints and they are loose. I was going to add more windings to tighten it up.any input would be helpful.
The flute actually plays pretty well and looks good for the money I payed. Hope it does'nt crack...
gcollins
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by gcollins »

Hey man, you might get more for the wood if it cracks then you paid for the flute.
rosenlof

Post by rosenlof »

Casey Burns has a few notes about thread wrapping on his web site: http://kendaco.telebyte.com/cburns/care.html

He likes linnen or synthetic thread and red ski wax. I'm fine with the thread, but find the Swix red wax to be awfully sticky - but so far that's what I've used. Do you wax your tenons for kick or for glide?

I seem to need a new layer of thread every few months on my Burns flute.
VincentBulman

Post by VincentBulman »

I have been using waxed dental floss on top of the existing threads on my Mark Hoza flute for the past year. The mint odour does not detract from my playing!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VincentBulman on 2001-11-09 20:17 ]</font>
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

I was wondering if that would work. If anything it might do in a pinch. Thanks much.
(P.S. I don't think it will take any value away from this flute)...
VincentBulman

Post by VincentBulman »

Jon, have you had a look at the plug, located between the short end of the flute and the embouchure? It is used to adjust the sound. I removed the one from my flute only to find that I could not replace it. The flute had shrunk around it. I made another from a wine cork. regards, Vincent
Jon C.

Post by Jon C. »

Vincent,
When I got the flute I pulled the plug out and it when back in fine, now it's stuck in there, so I guess I will just leave it alone.
The flute is in tune so I don't have to mess with it. Jon