help with the fife

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
jackorion

Post by jackorion »

I just bought a six hole bamboo fife (this is a fife right?) I can get the low octave out of it, but the second I can't. I've tried to overblow but it dosn't work. Is it in the fingering, or am I missing something. It's a good quality instrument in the key of D. I really have no idea how to make it jump. Any help would help :smile: -Jack

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: jackorion on 2001-10-05 01:26 ]</font>
nickb

Post by nickb »

Hi, Jack. Try adjusting yur embouchure technique. Blow a wide,flat stream of air across the blow hole for the lower octave, and a narrow, round stream for the upper octave. Another good thing to try at the same time - push your chin forward for the high octave, and draw it back for the lower octave.
Spot Beagle
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Spot Beagle »

On 2001-10-05 07:33, nickb wrote:
Hi, Jack. Try adjusting yur embouchure technique. Blow a wide,flat stream of air across the blow hole for the lower octave, and a narrow, round stream for the upper octave. Another good thing to try at the same time - push your chin forward for the high octave, and draw it back for the lower octave.
<big><b><i>hey! that works, cool!

:grin:
Uncle Jaque
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Uncle Jaque »

Nice going if you can get two octaves out of one of those bamboo jobs - I generally consider them more of a "primitive flute" than a fife, per se..
If you can get the third register ("Battlefield volume") where most of the Military Corps play out of it up to the third "B" I guess you'd be entitled to call it a "fife" all right, and can handle the vast majority of the music written for the fife. I have never gotten above that, but some of the real hard-core Fifers can get all the way up to the third "D"... and they have my undying admiration!

The intonation of various fifes is a tricky and individual thing; some tend to preffer the lower registers where they sound very mellow and flute-like, while others - most notably the "Military" fifes, play best up there in the 3rd register screeching away at full blast. My "Sweetheart" Bb is sort of like that; if I want to play a slow air (or indoors) more likely than not I will use the maple Cooperman or my walnut low-"G" flute. They will play the third all right, but the intervals might be off a little. It's not unusual to see a Field Musician packing 2 or 3 fifes - perhaps a couple of "Bb" for various duty applications and a "C" for harmony parts or practice.

Have fun with your bamboo "kazoo", but if you really want to appreciate the fife, I'd reccomend that you aquire a decent wooden one and keep it well oiled.

"Uncle Jaque", fifer
3rd Maine Volunteers
Field Music