How to get foot keys ,low C / c# keys working

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
gorjuswrex
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

How to get foot keys ,low C / c# keys working

Post by gorjuswrex »

Sorry I don't want to be a pain . I think there must be topics on this but searched and couldn't find them.

I would like to get the low foot keys going on some flutes. I am looking for advice on how to get them working properly. I have some with grasshopper keys and pewter plugs. Also have a Hawkes with Boeham style keys.

I thought Terry (Mc Gee ) had a section on his site but if so I could not find it.
tstermitz
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: How to get foot keys ,low C / c# keys working

Post by tstermitz »

Pewter foot keys are not always easy to get to seal well, but Jem seems to have experience and success with them.

When they are done right, they have extremely good performance - whack, and you have a solid low-C, with no need for oiling. I have one such flute, a Firth Pond & Co, and another I never could get quite right. Occasionally the keys start to get a little sticky. In that case, cleaning off the pewter and seats with a clean cloth or even napkin, and I'm good to go.

With more wear the pewter can become raised, and pressing/rubbing with a hard, smooth steel can fix the ridge.

Be cautious not to turn the pewter plug as one location might conform better than another.