Pheasant feathers

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
cavefish
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: been out of it for awhile and decided to start back up on the flute and whistle , been doing NAFs and saxophones

Pheasant feathers

Post by cavefish »

i was reading about flutes and such, and i came upon something about using Pheasant feathers to swab out the barrel, it keeps the right amount of moisture in the flute ,,anyone heard about this
Last edited by cavefish on Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Choose you this day, whom ye shall serve
tstermitz

Re: quail feathers

Post by tstermitz »

Here in Colorado, I'd go for ptarmigan, but only in the white, Winter plumage.

For our urban friends, Squab is probably more common.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Re: Pheasant feathers

Post by Nanohedron »

Someone once told me that since oboists use a peacock tail feather (I have no idea how true that is), I should too. Way too precious for me...
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
cavefish
Tell us something.: been out of it for awhile and decided to start back up on the flute and whistle , been doing NAFs and saxophones

Post by cavefish »

Oboes. I heard that myself. I hear it’s takes the right amount of moisture out
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

Erm. You never get ´the right amount of moisture ´ out of an oboe. You´re lucky to get the right amount of music out of one. :lol:
I knew an instrument tech who said he got a large amount of his income re-boring, revoicing, and fixing cracks due to too much moisture in oboes. What you need is a swab made from the mane of Unicorn. . . :tomato:

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
cavefish

Post by cavefish »

well Erm,
unicorn mane is all but obsolete , from what the pros say one is not supposed to remove all the moisture on a swab just the beads
Uni Flute

Post by Uni Flute »

When I first saw the title of this thread, I thought it may have been started 4 days late...

However a quick Google shows that double reeders do seem to have a fancy for feathers.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lakAU-DfgJk
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

cavefish wrote:... from what the pros say one is not supposed to remove all the moisture on a swab just the beads
I've never heard that, but there's this to consider: Even if you swab out your flute with rod and cloth, there will always be a scant amount of moisture left behind anyway.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
Conical bore

Post by Conical bore »

Interesting video about the oboe feathers. Does a double reed instrument collect as much water in the barrel as a flute? My flute drips water if I play it often enough and don't blow it out.

Also I'm curious about this idea of keeping the "right amount of moisture" in a wooden flute. I thought the idea of swabbing was to remove as much of the moisture in the bore as you can, to prevent any remaining water from raising the grain? You'll leave a thin film behind, but not enough to raise the grain.

I use a bit of paper towel wrapped on a long bamboo chopstick as an ad-hoc "flute flag" which is nicely absorbent and probably also does a tiny bit of bore polishing. Sanitary too... I throw out the paper towel afterwards, so there is no moisture to collect and grow nasties in a cloth swab. Of course, with the current run on paper towels during the virus crisis, I'll probably have to switch to a cloth rag soon. Or find some unicorn mane somewhere.
busterbill

Post by busterbill »

Nanohedron wrote:
cavefish wrote:... from what the pros say one is not supposed to remove all the moisture on a swab just the beads
I've never heard that, but there's this to consider: Even if you swab out your flute with rod and cloth, there will always be a scant amount of moisture left behind anyway.
Unless you are in a very humid environment a little moisture will help keep the wood hydrated and leather pads soft if you have those. There is a delicate balance between too much or too little, both which can lead to cracking.

So if your bore is conditioned with the right amount of oil (completely absorbed) the water you are removing with a swab is sitting on the interior surface. Removing much of this will keep it from pooling somewhere and eventually molding or causing cracks due to minor imperfections of the oiled surface allowing moisture to infiltrate. But you won't get it all and that's ok.

So a feather may do to shake things up, or a bit of silk or cotton on a stick.

I have a flute I have played regularly for 20 years that I seldom swab, But due to the pressures of the moment I haven't played for a month. I know when I start playing it again I will need to be much more careful about swabbing. This is because the tiny bit of moisture that lives inside the flute when played daily is now gone.

A flute is a living thing, somehow.
cavefish

Post by cavefish »

Uni Flute wrote:When I first saw the title of this thread, I thought it may have been started 4 days late...

However a quick Google shows that double reeders do seem to have a fancy for feathers.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lakAU-DfgJk
wow ya know i would have thought to put the feathers in the other direction, , i do like that turkey one, honestly i love wood and i have been using wood and making stuff off and on for years, just taking care of the wood flute is fun, i see no extra work in maintenance its quite soothing :D , thanks for the vid
Last edited by cavefish on Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cavefish

Post by cavefish »

Nanohedron wrote:
oh yes, i make sure i have little or no resisitance on the pull or push, like anything relaxed is the way,,,
cavefish

Post by cavefish »

Conical bore wrote:Interesting video about the oboe feathers. Does a double reed instrument collect as much water in the barrel as a flute? My flute drips water if I play it often enough and don't blow it out.

Also I'm curious about this idea of keeping the "right amount of moisture" in a wooden flute. I thought the idea of swabbing was to remove as much of the moisture in the bore as you can, to prevent any remaining water from raising the grain? You'll leave a thin film behind, but not enough to raise the grain.

I use a bit of paper towel wrapped on a long bamboo chopstick as an ad-hoc "flute flag" which is nicely absorbent and probably also does a tiny bit of bore polishing. Sanitary too... I throw out the paper towel afterwards, so there is no moisture to collect and grow nasties in a cloth swab. Of course, with the current run on paper towels during the virus crisis, I'll probably have to switch to a cloth rag soon. Or find some unicorn mane somewhere.
i have been using cut up Tee shirts, but i also have some bamboo "paper" towels , i was considering (bored) its very strong stretchable material, like a regular paper towel but does not fall apart, almost like tee shirt--- i also have a swab (silk like) cloth that comes with eyeglasses or your phone glass screen protector, works nice attached to a little string
as far as "grain raising" i would think only new flutes have this potential in the beginning , being newly bored
Last edited by cavefish on Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Conical bore

Post by Conical bore »

I use the "Viva" brand paper towels for flute swabs, it's very cloth-like and doesn't fall apart to clog up the key pads. I don't know if that brand is available outside the USA. I'm hoarding the ones I have left, since they disappeared from the local grocery store in the first wave of panic buying.
bildio
Tell us something.: I am registering due to interest in flutes and small pipes. I also have an interest in numerous other musical instruments.

Post by bildio »

I use a turkey feather for the upper joint. The bore is small. This was recommended by my teacher. Oboe suppliers sell them.