Any inexpensive high D flutes/fifes out there?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Rapparee71
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm interested in Irish flute and whistle playing. I came here to learn more. If I can ever get past all these security measures, I might be able to do that. I have a question to ask and would like to contribute to the forums.

Any inexpensive high D flutes/fifes out there?

Post by Rapparee71 »

This may be a strange request, but here goes. I'm looking for a high D flute (transverse) to carry with me when traveling and to generally horse around on. I was looking at fifes online, but most are either in B-flat or C. And any in D I found were far too expensive for my needs. I'm fine with an inexpensive plastic/ABS or even metal flute or fife. Does anyone have any recommendations? I got a Yamaha 8 hole fife in C for $9US, but I'd really like a 6-hole model in D.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. I'd like to keep it as inexpensive as possible. If I can keep it around $20US or less, great!
bigsciota

Re: Any inexpensive high D flutes/fifes out there?

Post by bigsciota »

The Dixon ABS piccolo is exactly what you’re looking for. It’s in two pieces so it’s pretty easy to carry around, and it sounds and plays pretty well. Plus, you can also get a whistle head for it, so you can switch between mouthpieces if you’d like. The only issue is that it generally sells for more like $30 than your $20, but I’d say it’s your best option.
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Post by fatmac »

Tony Dixon one piece ABS, about £14, if you can find one, I don't think he is selling them any more, he also used to make a brass one like his Trad brass high D whistle, I've got one of each, very nice little instruments.
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
Thomaston

Post by Thomaston »

I have just the thing, if you’re willing to increase your spending ceiling to $30 to cover shipping and the packaging I’d need to get. A member here, Jem Hammond, used to make these high D simple system nontunable piccolos out of ABS plastic (pretty sure that’s the material at least). He stopped making them several years ago and never started back as far as I know. I think I paid around $25 USD plus shipping from the UK at the time. If you’re willing to Paypal me $30 I can send it your way within the next day or two.
Here’s an Imgur link with a photo of it:
https://imgur.com/gallery/2z88rdJ

I never could get it to sound good, but my embouchure is crap. It’s sounded great and in tune when better players than me have tried it out. PM me if interested!
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

I already answered this on thesession.org (I presume the OP posted there also):
https://thesession.org/discussions/44323

Thomaston, if the OP isn't interested, I'll take another Jem Hammond piccolo.

Kevin
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
Thomaston

Post by Thomaston »

kkrell wrote:I already answered this on thesession.org (I presume the OP posted there also):

Kevin

:thumbsup: I’ll give OP another day or two to respond. If he doesn’t I’ll PM you!
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

OP might also check out this guy on his eBay page. He does a whole range of keys in a simple, cylindrical bore fife/flute. I have a couple—they are playable through the two lower registers, but will give your embouchure a workout.

Note: He also allows returns.

Best wishes.

Steve
Last edited by Steve Bliven on Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

Thomaston wrote:...A member here, Jem Hammond, used to make these high D simple system nontunable piccolos out of ABS plastic (pretty sure that’s the material at least). He stopped making them several years ago and never started back as far as I know. I think I paid around $25 USD plus shipping from the UK at the time.
I keep wondering if we could get enough interest to get Jem to make up another batch of these.... (Jem: :poke: )

Best wishes.

Steve
plunk111
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by plunk111 »

I’ll second the poke on Jem! I have one of his and it’s the best-playing “baby flute” I’ve tried!

Pat
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

Now that we've hijacked the thread....

From November 2012
jemtheflute wrote:I really had better get some more made! And get the next stage of developing the tunable multi-body version under way.....
I'm sure he'll get to it soon.

Best wishes.

Steve
Katharine
Tell us something.: Something..............................................................................................

Post by Katharine »

kkrell wrote:I already answered this on thesession.org (I presume the OP posted there also):

Kevin
And if they're not, I've been thinking of posting a WTB.

plunk111 wrote:I’ll second the poke on Jem! I have one of his and it’s the best-playing “baby flute” I’ve tried!

Pat
I'll third it... I keep hearing such good things about them that even when I look at other options, like the Dixon, I keep thinking these must be the way to go...
Here's tae us--
Wha's like us?
Damn few--
And they're a' deid--
Mair's the pity.
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

I'm very flattered, guys, but I'm afraid that my current position remains what it has been for 2-3 years now. I do hope one day in the indeterminate future to return to making my simple piccs and to finishing my project of making a tunable version with a selection of different tonality bodies. But for the foreseeable I intend to use my very limited flute-work time on refurbishment of antique wooden flutes. I have a ridiculous backlog and I have to turn away occasional requests to take on such jobs because I can't do so fairly to either new or existing customers, and that's leaving aside doing up flutes I've bought "for stock/to sell on" and also instruments of my own I want to fettle up. The simple piccolos are waaay down my priority list. Sorry!
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

:cry:

Best wishes.

Steve
Katharine
Tell us something.: Something..............................................................................................

Post by Katharine »

:cry: indeed... Sorry to hear it, Jem, but understandable.

I'd still be interested if anyone has one they'd like to part with, or, I'd take more advice on the Dixon piccolos (or other alternatives around the price range). It seems the Dixons are no longer made and are getting harder to find? I assume the "tuneable" version is the preferred one?
Here's tae us--
Wha's like us?
Damn few--
And they're a' deid--
Mair's the pity.
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Does anyone have thoughts on the plastic Dixon piccolo vs. the brass? It seems Hobgoblin still stocks both. Is there a difference in the sound, feel, playability? I've found only one Youtube video that compares the two, sorta.
Here's tae us--
Wha's like us?
Damn few--
And they're a' deid--
Mair's the pity.