It is currently Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:35 pm 

I have both, in fact I have just bought a second brass one, I rather like the head piece/embouchure hole, & it can be tuned, as against the one piece ABS plastic one that I have.

Tone wise, the ABS is a little mellower, the brass is similar to their whistle, but more breathy sounding, which, to me, makes it sound just that bit better.

If you want to just use it quietly at home, the ABS is probably the one to use, but the brass one isn't too loud either.

The brass tube is narrower to hold than the ABS, weight wise, they are about the same.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:47 pm 

Thanks Keith! That's really helpful. Something I had read had actually said the brass was the more mellow of the two, so it's good to hear from someone who has played both. I think that's kind of what I'm looking for-- in a piccolo with notes that high, I think mellower is probably best! But you say you actually prefer the sound of the brass? That bears thinking about, too... I've heard some plastic whistles that I don't prefer the sound of.

And they're a' deid--
Mair's the pity.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:54 am 

Yes, some plastic whistles sound quite like a recorder, & others more like a traditional tin whistle, these two piccolos have quite similar sound to each other, so I think it would be more your own personal preference as to which to get.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:19 pm 

Steve Bliven wrote:
OP might also check out this guy on his eBay page. He does a whole range of keys in a simple, cylindrical bore fife/flute. I have a couple—they are playable through the two lower registers, but will give your embouchure a workout.

Note: He also allows returns.

Best wishes.

Steve

Steve,
I checked out Alan's ebay store upon your recommendation and bought a Padauk wooden flute in the key of C. I played the flute today and really like it. It plays easily and has a lovely tone; the build and beautiful wood is an added bonus. Thanks for your recommendation.