Hakam Din Flutes

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
cockade
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a flute player from Kirby-le-Soken in Essex. Used to play in a barndance band but now I just play a Baroque flute in 440 for pleasure.

Hakam Din Flutes

Post by cockade »

I'm tempted to invest in a Hakam din baroque flute. Anyone know anything about these instruments?
an seanduine

Re: Hakam Din Flutes

Post by an seanduine »

A-a-a-r-r-gh :o

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

If you want a proper baroque flute for a few hundred pounds/dollars/euros, head straight for one of Vincent Bernolin's resin models:

https://traversos-bernolin.com/english/index.htm
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Pakistani-sourced instruments, particularly flutes and bagpipes (both GHB and Uilleann), have a poor reputation - I have personal experience with Pakistani-made flutes to back this up, and their GHBs that I heard were appallingly bad - so Pakistani-made instruments are probably best avoided unless you don't mind spending money on a gamble. It is sometimes said that their flute quality seems to be improving, so there might be exceptions, but AFAIK it's still hit-or-miss at best. Hakam Din seems to be the Big Name in Pakistani distribution of late, but I'm not convinced that they are as invested in vetting their makers as they would have us believe; at those prices, there's little incentive to bother. I'm all for giving someone an even break, but Pakistani makers have so consistently and for so long done so much damage to their own reputation among informed fluteplayers that the country's name has become a byword for bad flutes, and raises alarms. One wonders if they'll ever be able to live it down no matter how much they improve. If they improve.

I would recommend you save your money for something reliable.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Peter Otto
Tell us something.: Hi, I started having a go at playing the flute a few weeks ago and I noticed your forum is the place to be for finding information.

Post by Peter Otto »

I have a Bernolin and it's a good flute. I would stay away from Pakistani flutes. If you want an ok wooden baroque flute for an ok price, you might want to contact Luc Verhoeven in Belgium.

Kr,
Peter