'glottals' and throat tension

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
cac
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Simple system wooden flutes, keyed and keyless. xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxx

'glottals' and throat tension

Post by cac »

This question is also being posted on thesession.org. I've been trying to use 'glottals' more in my playing and wonder if those of you that do have worked out ways to deal with unwanted tension in the throat. In my experience, glottals are a bit controversial with some players swearing by them while for others they are anathema. Conal O'Grade writes in his tutor that he uses them on nearly every note, although he doesn't quite mean that since he plays with a moderate amount of slurs and doesn't do a glottal on a note that is slurred into. I like the snap that they give to my playing, but find that there is an unwanted residue of tension which seems to adversely affect the sound when I'm not making the glottal.
Gromit

Re: 'glottals' and throat tension

Post by Gromit »

Humming or singing into the flute is a good for relaxing & opening up the throat, search on YouTube for this and other clips - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIxaYRgf418