Mollenhauer Soprano Picco

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
cockade
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a flute player from Kirby-le-Soken in Essex. Used to play in a barndance band but now I just play a Baroque flute in 440 for pleasure.

Mollenhauer Soprano Picco

Post by cockade »

Just bought myself a Mollenhauser picco direct from the manufacturer. It's best described as a flute like recorder but without the thumb hole at the back. You can crossfinger like the recorder and play in any key. Trouble is I'm having trouble playing the higher octave. Does this instrument require a lot of playing in? It's made of pearwood.
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Re: Mollenhauer Soprano Picco

Post by Peter Duggan »

Have you played a piccolo-sized flute before? (Sorry, not clear from your profile.) If not, perhaps you just need to work at the embouchure for it when I'd expect playing in to make little or no difference to the instrument's ability to sound these notes. Otherwise perhaps they've sent you a poor or unusually demanding example... hopefully unlikely, but if you don't have another to compare...
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
cockade
Tell us something.: I'm a flute player from Kirby-le-Soken in Essex. Used to play in a barndance band but now I just play a Baroque flute in 440 for pleasure.

Post by cockade »

I play an F and a B flat fife no problems
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

Curious. Since these are advertised as educational instruments, to enable children to crossover from Blokflote to transverse, I wonder if they have been optimized for the third octave. Have you enquired of this to Mollenhauer?

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
Sillydill
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Sillydill »

Hey Cockade,

I've had three Mollenhauer flutes over the years and have been very impressed by their quality.

So I too ordered a Picco and was quite disappointed and sent it back in short order. But unfortunately I don't remember specifically why. :boggle:
Keep on Tootin!

Jordan