Close or Open Holes??

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
nonpqlolzx
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Hi! I'm interested in music, and in playing musical instruments too. that's why i'm here) now i'm trying myself playin' flute, and i found a topic on your forum that fits me.

Close or Open Holes??

Post by nonpqlolzx »

Hello everyone! I need help with choosing up a flute for my little brother for his b-day! Once i played some tunes for him, and he was very impressed. I thought, that he was just kidding me, because i’d made some mistakes while playing. But guess, what did he asked me to gift him on his b-day? Heh)
Me and our mom were a little bit shocked, because Sam (brother) cried every time i was taking him to the piano lessons, and btw that was last summer ;D
The matter is, that i’m newbie in this regard and i can’t afford not to ask advice from much more experienced people! What would be better for 14-years-old boy? With open holes, or not? I play flute with open holes, but i don’t know, will it fit to Sam, because his fingers are smaller, please help! ;)
Andro
Tell us something.: Beginning flute and whistle player. Starting out seriously in Irish Traditional Music. Also interested in flute making.

Re: Close or Open Holes??

Post by Andro »

I assume you are talking about silver Boehm flutes. Open hole flutes are preferred by professionals, but they always come with silicon plugs for beginners, or you can buy a set for a couple of dollars. That solves that problem. Many student flutes have closed keys. They are fine. In fact, some professionals prefer them. Closed keys mean small hands don't have to be so accurate covering the note while learning. But you already play flute, you must know this?

Andrew
busterbill

Post by busterbill »

I agree with Andro. Assuming you are talking about the silver Boehm flute, a beginner has a much easier time with closed holes. If you happen upon an open holed instrument you like the plugs are quite inexpensive and easy to come by in many music supply stores, or even on Ebay. The most important thing is to find him a flute that plays well. If you are looking in the used market make sure you try it out. Keys that don't close completely due to poor pads can be very frustrating.
oleorezinator
Tell us something.: I love uilleann pipes I love tin whistles I love flutes I love irish music I love concertinas I love bodhrans

Post by oleorezinator »

Open holes can be plugged.
An offset G is absolutely essential!
Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love.
Love is not music. Music is the best.
- Frank Zappa