HELP Bb bass flute

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Neil B
antispam: No

HELP Bb bass flute

Post by Neil B »

Jem you were involved in a post some time ago by Norman Holmes on the title he posted some pics of the same, we arrived at the thought that the bass was two different makers due to the key pads, Norman thought the flute to be a Boosey & Co I thought the bottom half to be Hawkes AZ.... I've tried to find the pics to no avail maybe you can or any other PC wizard could try? I'm in contact with NH who is trying to find them in his files.
Neil B

Re: HELP Bb bass flute

Post by Neil B »

Stand down not C&F but the flute history channel Nov 2017.
Holmes
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Holmes »

As it's mentioned, I came across the said photographs. It's as well to have the photographs here for the record (and to see if these one-drive links work for hosting)

In the end the Hawkes Bb head and first joint did appear to be paired to a Boosey & Co lower joint. It played well. No doubt there's a flute kicking about in Ulster or Glasgow with the opposite configuration, unless this was a result of a made-up flute from residual 'band' stock .

These flutes aren't much good for players of trad as they are in high pitch but it sounds good on its own or with string players and such that can reach these higher marching band (mostly) flutes.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!ApfZgzm9X-3lh1NiyMr ... K?e=c9uGM4

Edited as I did say Boosey originally not Rudall as erroneously stated earlier
Last edited by Holmes on Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Save your hot air for blowing down your flute
Neil B

Post by Neil B »

Thanks again Norman, excellent photo's. My take on this is it is definitely a Hawkes & Son head they all appear to be in ebonite for the mouth piece & fitted to a wooden body, the bottom I'm fairly sure from the top & bottom rings and the pad cups these are for the Hawkes & Son Crown AZ family? The top half with those raised pointed cups look to be Boosey & Co. So has anyone out there got some pics of a Bb bass flutes to see if I can find a complete example of a B&C & the AZ?
Holmes
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Holmes »

This flute is all ebonite, no wood.
Neil B

Post by Neil B »

Yes Norman, what I wrote was that his type of mouthpiece is to be found mainly on Hawkes wooden bass flutes probably replacing the long straight head which was prone to cracking. It would also appear from my sightings that instead of two steady posts Hawkes used only one at the back end no doubt to make it easier to slide of the ebonite mouthpiece for replacement if cracked? I have yet to see a wooden mouthpiece example? I can't post pics for a better explanation. :-(
Huhupat
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: i've been making flutes for over twenty years, playing with friends and neighbors who help me tune my instruments and encourage me to share my art with the world. I carve bamboo flutes using concentrated sunlight and 3D-print whistle mouthpieces down to 42" contrabasses, as well as one-handed double tabor pipes.

Post by Huhupat »

I made a bass Bb flute for my coworker who's about 7ft tall. His is about 4.5 feet long. I'm 6' and could only play it comfortably long enough to tune it.
Neil B

Post by Neil B »

These are shorter flutes for flute bands in the main but even without the curved head looking at videos the players are struggling to keep erect with a straight head.