Morvan or Lesouef flutes - your experience?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Rob Sharer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1
Location: Either NC, Co. Clare, or Freiburg i.B., depending...

Re: Morvan or Lesouef flutes - your experience?

Post by Rob Sharer »

This is what happens, Larry, when you fight a stranger in the Alps!
Bran Ruz
antispam: No

Post by Bran Ruz »

jemtheflute wrote: :boggle: Ok! Needs to update his website, then.

But who'd leave Britanny???
No one in his right mind :D unless you have a good reason for doing so, and he does. :wink:
busterbill
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by busterbill »

I have played neither but since you mention Olwell you may want to look at Glenn Watson's flutes. They certainly have that burr that Olwells are famous for. I have a Greet LeJunne flute that is very nice as well. I wanted cocus and eight keys and did not want to wait 100 years. His list was reasonable and he had the wood so I gave that a shot sight unseen. I am pleased.
pixyy
Tell us something.: Just updating my profile after 16+ years of C&F membership. Sold most of my flutes, play the ones I still own and occasionally still enjoy coming here and read about flute related subjects.

Post by pixyy »

Never expected so much life in this topic.

In the meantime I have placed an order for both a keyless and 6-key flute (mopane) from Solen.
Last friday I even had a chance to play one of her flutes at the local session. So I both got to try the flute and get my *ss out to a session for the first time in years. Double win (Thanks Tim!!)

I also placed an order with Patrick Olwell, because, well, you know...

Ah to feel the old excitement post order flute wait. First time in 8 years I'm buying new flutes.
Upside is I'm already playing more on the flute I do have.

cheers.
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

busterbill wrote:I have played neither but since you mention Olwell you may want to look at Glenn Watson's flutes. They certainly have that burr that Olwells are famous for. I have a Geert LeJunne flute that is very nice as well. I wanted cocus and eight keys and did not want to wait 100 years. His list was reasonable and he had the wood so I gave that a shot sight unseen. I am pleased.
I recently met a Glenn Watson 6-key African Blackwood flute, my first encounter with one of his, which came to me for some minor fettling (new tenon cork, a few adjustments). I was very impressed by how it played - responsive with plenty of oomph and a great low end. Good embouchure cut, low air demand for big return, good timbre. (Pity it had no low C#/C!) The general craftsmanship was good - very tidy - though not the best I've ever seen. I don't know how old/far back in his production it is - current owner had it 2nd hand. It's a surprisingly light-weight flute in the hands, too.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
Juan Pablo Plata
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Juan Pablo Plata »

My 8 keyed Watson is the best flute I've played. Excellent variation/dynamics of volume, you can obtain that glorious edgy and solid low end sound, so responsive and really lightweight.