It is currently Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:11 pm 
Moderatorer

Out of curiosity I just had a look at Northwind's website, and their flute cases look just like the one I had made for the Noy, but Peter brokered that, so I have no idea. Could be they made it, but in any case it would have been a custom job, what with the additional Eb corps de réchange.

"I remain not entirely convinced of it." - Nano

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:20 pm 

Nanohedron wrote:
Out of curiosity I just had a look at Northwind's website, and their flute cases look just like the one I had made for the Noy, but Peter brokered that, so I have no idea. Could be they made it, but in any case it would have been a custom job, what with the additional Eb corps de réchange.

Yeah, highly likely it was Northwind that made you case then. Noy would have sent them the measurements, or more likely they already had some, or all already on file. I’ve talked to them about cases for flutes from another maker they have supplied in the past, so I know they keep certain profiles from various makers on hand. Northwind makes cases for many flute makers.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:27 pm 
Moderatorer

Loren wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:

Yeah, highly likely it was Northwind that made you case then. Noy would have sent them the measurements, or more likely they already had some, or all already on file. I’ve talked to them about cases for flutes from another maker they have supplied in the past, so I know they keep certain profiles from various makers on hand. Northwind makes cases for many flute makers.

I was very pleased with it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:43 pm 

Nanohedron wrote:
I was very pleased with it.

Not surprised, they make excellent cases. I have a Northwind that came with one of my Olwells and I’d be happy to have more like it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:08 pm 

But not too many more, because they all look the same, so then you have to go opening cases up just to find the flute you want.

But they are “custom”, as long as you want black.

Last edited by Loren on Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:11 pm 

Loren wrote:
But they are “custom” as long as you want black.

:lol:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:21 pm 
Moderatorer

Loren wrote:
But not too many more, because they all look the same, so then you have to go opening cases up just to find the flute you want.

Heh. In that situation, I'd probably surrender and start putting stickers on them.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:30 pm 

Nanohedron wrote:
Loren wrote:

Heh. In that situation, I'd probably surrender and start putting stickers on them.

Good man Nano!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:34 pm 
Moderatorer

The possibilities are enticing; do I go with good taste or bad?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:50 pm 

I recently bought an inexpensive foam boehm flute case for a friend. I bought the Bb foot size in case I needed the extra length. I carved out and pushed about some of the foam to enlarge the slots and it now nicely holds a pratten keyless. I had some old cloth about to patch up the surgery I needed to do on the styrofoam. It will do and cost about $20.

I also purchased an eight keyed Geert Lejeunne flute recently. It came in a very sturdy zippered foam case with three generic slots.The slots were supplied with decently fitted blocks to hold the pieces tightly. I contacted him about his supply of these when my friend asked about a case. He did not have any to spare but sent me to an Early Music Shop online based in the UK. They do stock them but they were too pricey for my friend. I have wondered why a place like the Irish Flute store hasn't picked up on these. But likely it is one of those things that has to be bought in bulk from China.

Over the years that I have picked up a number of flutes I have three identical Northwind cases. I accidentally found a Pottery Barn Velveteen gifting wine bag that was a perfect fit for them. So after an Ebay search I have a blue, green and gold bag so I know what flute is in which case. I also carry the case out in the bag which preserves the leather on the Northwind cases. If you want to do the Ebay thing have the seller measure the bag. Some are a bit narrower than others. (these wine bags are too short for pratten cases.)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:05 pm 

If I ever have so many Northwind cases with flutes worthy of them that I can't tell them apart, well, that's a problem I'd like to have. :D

I'm currently in that learning phase where I think I've found my forever flute, but 'ya never know. And if it comes to that, I would definitely go for the "bad" stickers to tell the black Northwind cases apart. You want someone to think twice about how demented the owner is, so they think twice about touching your flute case.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:43 am 
Moderatorer

Conical bore wrote:
...I would definitely go for the "bad" stickers to tell the black Northwind cases apart. You want someone to think twice about how demented the owner is, so they think twice about touching your flute case.

Here's a possibility:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:11 am 

Then northwind cases look great, but it says on their website they make the cases out of Basswood, which is extremely soft, about as soft as pine. I've made solid body guitars out of basswood: it's easy and pleasant to work, but it dents if you frown at it. Basswood has a Janka hardness of 410

I kind of think if I was going to spend hundreds on a case I'd want a harder wood, but then it'd be heavier. It's easy to find a block of hard maple in the dimensions needed for a flute case. Sugar maple has a janka hardness of 1450

But making a case like that isn't trivial. You need routing templates for everything and then you've got to put the leather cover on; you need to source the leather and then cut it properly and glue it so it stays glued.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:43 am 
Moderatorer

PB+J wrote:
Then northwind cases look great, but it says on their website they make the cases out of Basswood, which is extremely soft, about as soft as pine. I've made solid body guitars out of basswood: it's easy and pleasant to work, but it dents if you frown at it.

Northwind probably has well-considered reasons for using basswood. It may be that there is a longstanding tradition behind it, but here are my own guesses based partly on an internet search: One, as you mentioned, would be its light weight. It is also very stable once dried, and I would definitely want that. It's also free of knots, resin or pitch, and that's probably a good idea. While it's true that there are tougher woods, quality basswood is not brittle, so it's probably tough enough for the job as a light weight material, with softness being judged an acceptable tradeoff. Lower-grade basswood is a different matter, and probably unsuitable for instrument cases built to last. I assume Northwind would not use lower-grade, and that difference is probably part of what you're paying for; suppliers who know the good from the bad have to source this stuff.

For the finished product, I suspect that the leather covering and fabric lining are intended to be as functional as they are cosmetic: being glued down, they would serve to reinforce the case's structural integrity to some degree; every little bit helps. As to denting, though, I don't recall any on mine; prior to this thread I didn't know what the shell was made of, and while I didn't handle the case with kid gloves, I didn't handle it roughly enough for denting, either. In any event, I would far rather the case take the brunt instead of the flute. To my thinking, that's what it's there for. I'm less concerned with it looking like new; you expect some dings and scuffing over time. Makes it look like a veteran.

I just put in a call to Northwind to see what they had to say about it, but no one was available to answer at the time. I'll try again later.

FWIW, quality basswood is considered strong for its weight; I did some more snooping around, and it's mentioned among the array of woods traditionally used in saddle tree construction. That might tell us something.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:59 pm 

PB+J wrote:
Then northwind cases look great, but it says on their website they make the cases out of Basswood, which is extremely soft, about as soft as pine. I've made solid body guitars out of basswood: it's easy and pleasant to work, but it dents if you frown at it. Basswood has a Janka hardness of 410

I kind of think if I was going to spend hundreds on a case I'd want a harder wood, but then it'd be heavier. It's easy to find a block of hard maple in the dimensions needed for a flute case. Sugar maple has a janka hardness of 1450

FWIW, neither of the two Northwind cases I've owned has shown any external dents in the wood under the leather. But then, I haven't taken them out of the house that often until recently, so it's not a good test.

Regarding protection, the wood shell of the Northwind is fairly thick even at the thinnest carved-out parts. It won't move if you press hard on it, which is more than I can say for the cheap plastic pistol case I was using on a temporary basis. The only really protective plastic cases are the thick-shelled ones like Pelican cases, which are very heavy by comparison.