FLUTES

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Michael w6
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I have played bagpipes for several years. Open heart surgery in 2014 took me out for several months and I have not yet returned. I have begun to pursue the penny whistle instead. I'm looking for advice and friends in this new instrument.

Re: FLUTES

Post by Michael w6 »

No, I do not recall a smell of mold. I cleaned the inside and outside of the head joint with isopropyl as you suggested. This did not solve the problem. The unpleasant taste is noticeable and lingering. Tastes are difficult to describe in words. But the unpleasant taste is certainly there. The only similar example I can think of is plastic cups. My workplace provides plastic promotional drinking cups. If water is in these cups for some while the water takes on a very distinctive and unpleasant taste.
The flute has a similar "plasticky" taste. Very noticeable and persistent.
A moment of carelessness, a lifetime of regret.
A lifetime of carelessness, a moment of regret.
Maihcol
Tell us something.: I have been selling my flutes since 2010 and I have moved back to Ireland from Brazil and I am now based in County Offaly.

Post by Maihcol »

It's possible this may also be Michael's personal reaction to the actual delrin material of the flute, which I've not come across before.

Michael tells me the flute is on the way back to the Irish Flute Store, so I will ask Blayne Chastain, the owner who is himself a fluteplayer and flute teacher, to check it and see what he thinks.
Garry Somers Flutes: http://www.somers-flutes.com
D Mc

Post by D Mc »

Personally, I don't understand how you are even able to "taste" a flute. It's not like a whistle that you put in your mouth.
Michael w6
Tell us something.: I have played bagpipes for several years. Open heart surgery in 2014 took me out for several months and I have not yet returned. I have begun to pursue the penny whistle instead. I'm looking for advice and friends in this new instrument.

Post by Michael w6 »

I suspect some airborne particles are being inhaled. By what ever means, something is entering my mouth. The taste is distinctly unpleasant, "plasticky" and lingers for some while after I'd stopped playing.
A moment of carelessness, a lifetime of regret.
A lifetime of carelessness, a moment of regret.
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

D Mc wrote:Personally, I don't understand how you are even able to "taste" a flute. It's not like a whistle that you put in your mouth.
When you blow into a flute some of that air rebounds back out of the flute in the area of your face, some of that gets inhaled through the mouth and nose.

Side note, physiologically smell and taste are closely linked, so to a certain extent what you smell you can taste, even if you haven’t put it in your mouth, and vice versa.