Does your M&E flute have an M&E logo stamped on it?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
GinGin
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I have been a classical flute player for decades, and I’d like to add Irish flute. I also play lever harp and a bit of whistle. Looking for some guidance and possibly some used instruments. If I’m really lucky maybe I’ll find some people I can play with, too.

Does your M&E flute have an M&E logo stamped on it?

Post by GinGin »

I am looking online for a flute to buy, and there’s a used one that looks like it might be good for me. The ad says it is an M&E, and the flute has an M&E logo stamped on it. When I compare it to the M&E flutes on the manufacturer’s website, though, they do not have this stamp. Has anyone heard of there being imposters around?
ertwert
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Does your M&E flute have an M&E logo stamped on it?

Post by ertwert »

My M&E flute (bought in 2012 directly from the maker) has no logo stamped on it. A friend of mine got one a couple of month ago and it has some logo stamped on it. So there seem to be some minor changes made over the years.

Beside this anecdote: I think it is extremely unlikely, someone would buy the same rings and keys, to make a fake M&E flute? It is a very cheap flute to begin with, therefore it sounds highly unlikely, someone would bother selling fake cheap instruments? Never heard such a thing.
GinGin
Tell us something.: I have been a classical flute player for decades, and I’d like to add Irish flute. I also play lever harp and a bit of whistle. Looking for some guidance and possibly some used instruments. If I’m really lucky maybe I’ll find some people I can play with, too.

Post by GinGin »

I did find a picture of one that has one.

Thanks. :)
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Post by fatmac »

I bought my polymer 'F' flute from their website, & it came with the stamped name, the picture of the flute didn't have it, & I was a bit disappointed to have it at first, but it doesn't effect the tone, so I've got used to it being there. :wink:

(Maybe it is only on his polymer flutes.)
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
PB+J
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Post by PB+J »

I bought a Polymer M&E about a year ago. No stamped logo. The end cap says “M&E rudall & rose”
Andro
Tell us something.: Beginning flute and whistle player. Starting out seriously in Irish Traditional Music. Also interested in flute making.

Post by Andro »

I have a Delrin McNeela 6 key flute. It's identical in every way to the M&E Delrin flute. It has McNeela laser engraved on it. The M&E ones seem to have M&E laser engraved.

With absolutely no disrespect to these suppliers/makers, I cant help wondering if the units are all from Pakistan, and badged for each vendor. The keys have a very Pakistan look and feel. Also mine from McNeela came with vastly oversize cork on the tenons and would not go together, proving it could not have been tweaked or adjusted in the McNeela workshop, of it it was, it was never blown.

Someone here on C&F suggested M&E makes them for McNeela. I just don't know.

I have seen instruments identical in appearance on Alibaba while searching deeply there. This is what makes me think that is where they come from.

Anyway, apart from the keys being too stiff for me and fairly crudely made, it has a great tone and you can get it to sound really good. I'm not trying to denigrate either of these chaps, just puzzled about the actual provenance. Certainly some of the other McNeela flutes are Pakistani sourced.
flyingparchment
Tell us something.: i have an unhealthy obsession with flutes and thought i should try to find some other people to share my problems with! (i play a TJ Boehm-system flute and an M&E 6-key simple system flute i've just acquired, hence the interest in C&F.)

Post by flyingparchment »

Andro wrote:With absolutely no disrespect to these suppliers/makers, I cant help wondering if the units are all from Pakistan, and badged for each vendor. The keys have a very Pakistan look and feel.
Michael has previously said that he gets the keys from a far eastern supplier rather than making them himself, so i don't think this is evidence one way or the other for where the flute itself is made.

my M&E 6-key flute i bought a few months ago has the "M&E R&R" label on the body and the "R&R" metal cap on the crown (which i removed from mine because it was too heavy and unbalanced the flute).
busterbill

Post by busterbill »

flyingparchment wrote:
Andro wrote:With absolutely no disrespect to these suppliers/makers, I cant help wondering if the units are all from Pakistan, and badged for each vendor. The keys have a very Pakistan look and feel.
Michael has previously said that he gets the keys from a far eastern supplier rather than making them himself, so i don't think this is evidence one way or the other for where the flute itself is made.

my M&E 6-key flute i bought a few months ago has the "M&E R&R" label on the body and the "R&R" metal cap on the crown (which i removed from mine because it was too heavy and unbalanced the flute).
Yes, the keys on a keyed M&E are definitely manufactured and purchased by Michael, with that less than elegant feel you might associate with a lessor flute. But his keyed flutes are definitely far better than any Pakistani flutes out there. Those keys do the job and keep his flutes affordable. If you are concerned about this particular flute try emailing him directly with your questions. I have had questions over the years and find he responds quickly. I have his original keyless from way back when, the most simple of designs with no cork or rings. I have also had an ebonite 8 key. He makes a good flute.
GinGin

Post by GinGin »

Thanks all. I did find a pic on another flute seller website that has the M&E logo in the picture.

It makes sense that the keys would be made elsewhere to continue offering the kind of price point the flutes are in.

I just purchased a used M&E keyed flute on EBay today...the overall feedback for M&E seems to be good, and the price matched the budget. Hopefully it will be a good decision/purchase.