It is currently Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:17 am 

I'm also trying to get ahold of Billy Miller. My mom bought me one of his D flutes a couple years ago, and I have checked out his website but it seems very out of date, possibly abandoned, the same goes for his facebook page. I tried contacting him via email and FB, both have gotten no response. Aparently I got one of his last flutes, as he seems to have dissapeared from the scene shortly after I got mine. I can't imagine that he's doing much traveling this year, with everything being closed all year due to covid.

The only other makers of bamboo flutes I can find are Erik the Flutemaker and Barna Gabos. Erik's seem to only be available in G or Bb, according to his website. Barna makes a range of keys (G,F,E,Eb,D,C, others upon request) but they cost a fair bit more and he is located in Europe (Hungary, I believe), so his prices are in euros. It seems he has a waiting list as well.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:15 pm 

Stev0 wrote:
I'm also trying to get ahold of Billy Miller. My mom bought me one of his D flutes a couple years ago, and I have checked out his website but it seems very out of date, possibly abandoned, the same goes for his facebook page. I tried contacting him via email and FB, both have gotten no response. Aparently I got one of his last flutes, as he seems to have dissapeared from the scene shortly after I got mine. I can't imagine that he's doing much traveling this year, with everything being closed all year due to covid.

The only other makers of bamboo flutes I can find are Erik the Flutemaker and Barna Gabos. Erik's seem to only be available in G or Bb, according to his website. Barna makes a range of keys (G,F,E,Eb,D,C, others upon request) but they cost a fair bit more and he is located in Europe (Hungary, I believe), so his prices are in euros. It seems he has a waiting list as well.

Taking nothing away from Erik the Flutemaker, who has a nice selection of instruments (of which I've heard many positive things), I'm guessing that Barna Gabos's stuff is going to be next-level, and worth the extra money. I've checked out his website and looked at his work including his bamboo flutes and I could see a lot of details that made me think they are probably very good indeed for a bamboo flute, and his prices seemed quite reasonable. I'm working with bamboo these days myself (not selling any yet) and I know that if he is taking the trouble to select for pieces with a natural taper, then taking advantage of that with such clean workmanship, a price of $300 US for a D flute seems like a good deal. I've played some of the $50 to $80 versions of such flutes from other makers (I heard a fellow maker refer to them as "hippie" flutes) who probably cranked them out using Mark Shepard's specs and some burning rods, not bothering with any fine work, and they are fine, but I suspect they won't compare with the stuff Barnos is doing. I'm guessing he is operating more on the Patrick Olwell level of bamboo craft. But I have not yet tried one of his flutes, so I'm still speculating.