Is this System flute any good?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
tstermitz
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Is this System flute any good?

Post by tstermitz »

That flute is much more expensive than the asking price.

First you buy it for $50, then you chuck it. Then you buy a different cheap flute for $200. Then you abandon that.

Eventually, you buy a $400 flute from Casey Burns (by way of example), at which point you have spent $650. Instead, you should have just bought Casey's $700 standard flute.

When it comes to inexpensive musical instruments, you've got Shakey-egg, Bodhran and Whistle. For Flute, Violin or Guitar? Maybe $700 for a fine one, $2,000 for a superlative one. Pipes or box cost what, $3,000 - 4,000?

It takes 3 to 5 years to learn flute, so your cost is really $700/5/12 or $12/month. In beer money that's about 3 beers/month.

The other way to economize would be to buy a really good second-hand flute for $1,200 (or whatever). Play it for a couple years, decide that flute isn't your thing, and sell it back through the same shop. This only costs you the commission, 15-20%. (Does VAT screw you?)
AuLoS303
Tell us something.: I have a fascination for musical instruments of all kinds, and though I'm not a very good player I have a small collection of acoustic instruments including 5 recorders, 3 tin whistles , 3 guitars and 2 ukuleles.

Post by AuLoS303 »

jim stone wrote:Yes, the internet does not reliably communicate irony. People think you mean it.
Long ago, when people were desperate to buy more whistles, I posted an ironic message
'Will sell Mom into slavery for money for whistles.' The mods wisely deleted, but not before
I received three offers.

To the Operative Poster: the drift of the thread is that going very cheap is likely throwing away money. You end up with something unplayable and unsellable. As I see it (ahem), good flutes are money in another form. If you choose wisely you can get your money out again, more or less, if you ultimately need the cash. There are some very good flutes for under 400 dollars, including delrin flutes.
My budget is incredibly low. 400 bucks is way above what I can afford as I'm unemployed.
You can play beautiful music on an ugly flute
My musical endeavours on my blog
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

Try Googling "making a pvc flute". There are several sets of directions there whereby you get an inexpensive instrument (and probably better than eBay cheapos) as well as learning a bit more about how these instruments are constructed.

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Post by fatmac »

I bought a Chinese bamboo flute in 'F' for about £8, I didn't think it would be any good, but to my surprise, it plays in tune as far as I've played it, up to second octave lower fingering.

Another option is to check out fifes, they're not all in 'Bb', some go down to 'G'.

Check this one out.
(You could likely contact him directly, if you don't like Ebay.)
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/G-Fife-alumi ... XQyFFTkWYd
(I bought one of his low 'D' flutes, pre used, it sounds pretty good.)

If you need cheaper, take a look at the Yamaha fife, it's in 'C', plays similar to a recorder, only held horizontally. See Youtube videos for sound samples.

Don't forget the Tony Dixon high 'D' ABS piccolo, plays quite well.
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
PB+J
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Post by PB+J »

AuLoS303 wrote:
jim stone wrote:Yes, the internet does not reliably communicate irony. People think you mean it.
Long ago, when people were desperate to buy more whistles, I posted an ironic message
'Will sell Mom into slavery for money for whistles.' The mods wisely deleted, but not before
I received three offers.

To the Operative Poster: the drift of the thread is that going very cheap is likely throwing away money. You end up with something unplayable and unsellable. As I see it (ahem), good flutes are money in another form. If you choose wisely you can get your money out again, more or less, if you ultimately need the cash. There are some very good flutes for under 400 dollars, including delrin flutes.
My budget is incredibly low. 400 bucks is way above what I can afford as I'm unemployed.

You could try one of Doug Tipple's PVC flutes. They go for $110. They are well regarded.

You could make one out of PVC. Doug Tipple has detailed directions on his web site. Can't promise it will be a good, but at its simplest a flute is a tube with holes in it. He explain what you are doing and why.

I'm honestly not exaggerating when I say the one I got on ebay was awful. Really unplayable. I'm not a great flute player but I can play some and I can get a good tone out of a variety of flutes. That one I got? No, Just a lot of air. It was actively discouraging
fatmac

Post by fatmac »

Also, don't forget to check out pre used, (they are quite easy to sanitize).
Keith.
AuLoS303
Tell us something.: I have a fascination for musical instruments of all kinds, and though I'm not a very good player I have a small collection of acoustic instruments including 5 recorders, 3 tin whistles , 3 guitars and 2 ukuleles.

Post by AuLoS303 »

PB+J wrote:
You could try one of Doug Tipple's PVC flutes. They go for $110. They are well regarded.

You could make one out of PVC. Doug Tipple has detailed directions on his web site. Can't promise it will be a good, but at its simplest a flute is a tube with holes in it. He explain what you are doing and why.

I'm honestly not exaggerating when I say the one I got on ebay was awful. Really unplayable. I'm not a great flute player but I can play some and I can get a good tone out of a variety of flutes. That one I got? No, Just a lot of air. It was actively discouraging
I do have a mini drill in the shed. Not a dremel but similar. Just need to find some pvc pipe...
Geoffrey Ellis
Tell us something.: Crafting fine quality folk flutes from around the world since 1997, my goal is to create beautiful instruments that have the best possible voice, tuning and response by mixing modern methods with traditional designs.

Post by Geoffrey Ellis »

Mr.Gumby wrote:
The bamboo flute pictured is probably unplayable. Looks probably way out of tune, at best. The qualification 'beginners' helps here.
I really thought a tongue in cheek emoticon with that post wasn't necessary. But apparently.. :tomato:
That's funny :-) I'm always cautious about assuming that someone is being ironic because I never know if they might really like something like that!

But I would second what tstermitz said about the real price of under-priced instruments. I've done this myself with some different types of instruments (not flutes). Wanted to do it on the cheap and ended up buying the same thing again. Did the same thing with recording gear as well. Better to stretch for something really good the first time if at all possible.
AuLoS303

Post by AuLoS303 »

PJ, any idea of the British equivalent of this:

"Most PVC flutes in low D are constructed from ¾” schedule 40 PVC pipe"
Do you think this would be OK?

https://www.bosta.co.uk/all-products/pi ... -bar-13878
PB+J
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Post by PB+J »

AuLoS303 wrote:PJ, any idea of the British equivalent of this:

19 mm

I saw a guy playing jazz on homemade pvc flute. He was a great player, I think a flute player in one of the service bands around here, and he was killing it. He didn’t seem to pay the slightest attention to key signature, just half holing and lipping it into tune. Amazing
AuLoS303

Post by AuLoS303 »

PB+J wrote:
AuLoS303 wrote:PJ, any idea of the British equivalent of this:

19 mm

I saw a guy playing jazz on homemade pvc flute. He was a great player, I think a flute player in one of the service bands around here, and he was killing it. He didn’t seem to pay the slightest attention to key signature, just half holing and lipping it into tune. Amazing
I could have a go at making one but 1 I lack tools and 2 I'm all thumbs. Not good with my hands at all. I'd consider buying one from his site, but he's in the states and I'm in England.
PB+J

Post by PB+J »

I'M trying my best man!

Tony Dixon. Very inexpensive. The first irish wind instrument I ever bought was one of his combination flute/low whistles. I don't like it much as either a whistle or a flute, but it is playable. I bought it because it was the only low whistle in the shop. I forgot about the flute head and just put it on.

He offers a plastic non tunable flute for 37 pounds. I've got the tunable one in front of me--it's the same as the one in the flute whistle combo--and it's playable. It's soft and quiet and has a weak low D, but I bet if I worked at it I could get it to sound better. I don't find it inspiring to play.

[url]Ihttps://www.tonydixonmusic.co.uk/product-category/flutes/[/url]

I think the advice about not buying cheap is good, but I was never eager to spend a lot of money on something that I would not necessarily find congenial or inspiring. I bought an inexpensive, decent delrin flute, and then a better Delrin flute, and then sprung for a much more expensive, much better flute. I'd have been better off going for the good flute right away, but it's hard to know and it's hard to part with a lot of cash on an unknown. I learned a lot from the others.
fatmac

Post by fatmac »

The TD ABS one piece flute has the same hole spacing as the whistle, but is good for getting your embouchure right, which then transfers to any flute, (some minor adjustments may be needed). I think it plays well for its price.
Keith.
Neil B

Post by Neil B »

Contact me direct I have an ebonite Low pitched Potters simple system x6 keyed Bb flute with tuning slide, (if you have to ask how much..... forget it :-) oakleaves@gmx.net
svick
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by svick »

I really enjoyed your comment Mr Gumby,a nice bit of sharp wit! brightened my Sunday morning