What is a mode

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Terry McGee
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: What is a mode

Post by Terry McGee »

Modes of vibration. A flute is a tube open at both ends, which means that you can't have pressure changes at either end as they are open to atmosphere. So it can in theory resonate at any wavelength which crosses the horizontal axis at both ends. This image from UNSW Physics Flute Acoustics may confuse you further.....

Fortunately, you are not dependent upon theory and diagrams. Take up thy flute, finger xxx xxx and blow softly. You'll get low D, mode 1

Now tighten the embouchure and blow again. You'll get middle D, mode 2.

Tighten some more and blow again. Mode 3, 2nd octave A

Tighten more and try again. Mode 4, 3rd octave D.

Mode 5, if you are that good, will be 3rd octave F#

And so it goes on, in theory forever, but practically limited by the cut-off frequency, a factor of bore and fingerhole diameters, above which the flute becomes very uncooperative. You might have achieved 5 modes on xxx xxx, but try other fingerings. Heh heh heh.....
JackJ
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A new tin whistle player, I'm eager to learn more from the collective wisdom of this group. While my playing could use lots of help, I'm especially eager to learn which recordings to listen to.

Post by JackJ »

benhall.1 wrote:
PB+J wrote: I couldn't get your E being a third of the (sting length?) and G being a fifth of the length. Were you just picking notes haphazardly (being a pedant, I won't use the term "at random" in this context :wink: )? If not, you've lost me ... :-?
Surely he meant, Tune your string to the pitch 'C', no?
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

JackJ wrote:
benhall.1 wrote:
PB+J wrote: I couldn't get your E being a third of the (sting length?) and G being a fifth of the length. Were you just picking notes haphazardly (being a pedant, I won't use the term "at random" in this context :wink: )? If not, you've lost me ... :-?
Surely he meant, Tune your string to the pitch 'C', no?
How does that help? G is higher than E, so, even if E would sound at a third of the string length on a C string (which it wouldn't), the G wouldn't make any sense at all ... :-?
JackJ
Tell us something.: A new tin whistle player, I'm eager to learn more from the collective wisdom of this group. While my playing could use lots of help, I'm especially eager to learn which recordings to listen to.

Post by JackJ »

benhall.1 wrote: How does that help? G is higher than E, so, even if E would sound at a third of the string length on a C string (which it wouldn't), the G wouldn't make any sense at all ... :-?
Yes, you're right. Trying to interpret PB+J's statement, I got things backwards. The interval of a fifth ( C --> G) is achieved at 1/3 the length of the string, and the interval of a major third (C --> E) is achieved at 1/5 the length of the string. I think.

It's been eons since I've thought about this theory stuff, but I'm enjoying trying to follow along.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

JackJ wrote:
benhall.1 wrote: How does that help? G is higher than E, so, even if E would sound at a third of the string length on a C string (which it wouldn't), the G wouldn't make any sense at all ... :-?
Yes, you're right. Trying to interpret PB+J's statement, I got things backwards. The interval of a fifth ( C --> G) is achieved at 1/3 the length of the string, and the interval of a major third (C --> E) is achieved at 1/5 the length of the string. I think.

It's been eons since I've thought about this theory stuff, but I'm enjoying trying to follow along.
Actually, yes, I get that, now. That must have been what he meant. With a fourth (F) at a quarter the length of the string.
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

Terry's post, complete with circles and arrows and diagrams clearly explains 'modes of vibration' in both acoustic air columns and strings. Modes of vibration get a lot more strange and interesting when we examine the patterns formed on surfaces whilst vibrating. This is a bit further afield from flutes-but can include guitar and fiddle backs and fronts on our way to applying them to static structures like bridges and dynamic structures like jet plane aerofoiles. . .

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi